UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss spirit levels in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
the lines on the fax max levels are too close to the bubble in my opinion I have an 1800 fatmax xl and a 1200 yellow fatmax from costco I dont think I will be replacing them as I prefer the stabila because you can see the tolerance on the vials better ,I havent seen any fisco levels any where for years but they are good levels,any one tried the AMI levels ?

Haha I like it Gary - you work to tolerances!!!! I was going to be a brain surgeon till I found out what tolerances they work to, not for me I thought far too great, so tiling it is then. :lol:

J

jonnyc

I bought four ami Aussie levels few months ago .they seem ok at moment and the price very good, but they do have a rolled edge that makes it difficult to see if there is a gap between level and tile or straightedge.
got fed up with stabilator couple of years back when they vials lost accuracy very quickly.his was on the better red cap ones.
went on to bmi German levels extra heavy duty that were supposed be the best are more expensive than stabiles best but hey we're the same problem.
to be honest I have a couple of old stabilator cheapest white or black end caps 1.8 mts that are still as good as when bought 10 years ago.also gt a couple of cheaply travois levels from way ack that still spot on.very dodgy market nowasdays to get a really good level

B

borgie

always stabila for me too. I was in Topps the other day and they had some "Tilers Levels". They are not like normal, they were kind of triangular in shape, not sure what the advantage is?

when i was doing my apprentaship we use to use a Star level for large format marble. It had three legs/arms and round vial in the middle. It was perfect to just place in the middle of the marble to check your level, much quicker than using a normal level.

Does anyone remember this kind of level? I use to call it a star level, but i'm not sure of the correct name for it. I have searched the internet many times to try and find one. The closest I got is just the round vial, mostley used by dy's to level their record players.

If anyone knows where I can get one from please let me know.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
My grandfather left me his precision engineers level, a Rabone Chesterman, like this one.

LotImage_23378.jpg

Lovely piece of kit but never used it

J

jonnyc

the fat max level have the lines too close to the vial lines the stabilas are spread further away so it is easier to see if you are fractionally off level, whereas the fatmax cant be read aswell as you have to substantially cross the vail line with the bubble before you can see its off
I find it other way round.nearer bubble is to black lines when level easier to gauge,but then my eyesight not asngoodnas yours,Gary!!!

Reply to spirit levels in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Has anyone done any work like this? We are having a pvc door removed between dining and utility...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.