UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Splitting jobs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

I have a policy of not working on jobs where other tiling contractors/tilers are working for the same customer as I believe it causes some bad feeling and can create a bitchy atmosphere and I cant see the reason why a builder would split a job other than trying to create a dutch auction on price but I have found recently that it is becoming far more common practice how do you guys feel about being given awkward work while other tilers do the straight work for a discount price ?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I wouldn't like it at all.
If I wasn't busy I think I'd have to take it on mind. Keeps you in the game and you can keep taking calls and finding new decent business while your at it so no reason not too from that angle.

But I'd be making sure my work isn't in the same room at least as the other tilers as that's when you get the 'its his fault not mine' type scenarios I guess. For the same reason I'd generally not want to work on a job while some other trade type is there unless it was somebody I knew.

I'd be refusing work if I were being undercut by some numpty though and just fixing problems they're causing type thing.

I never did much of, or liked sitework for those sorts of reasons to be honest.

I loved my domestic customers who let you ge ton with it and let you pick up the tiles and materials so you knew they were right etc etc - Never been a big fan of sitework I always thought it was a totally different breed of tiler that was capable up putting up with it long-term.

S

Spud

I wouldn't like it at all.
If I wasn't busy I think I'd have to take it on mind. Keeps you in the game and you can keep taking calls and finding new decent business while your at it so no reason not too from that angle.

But I'd be making sure my work isn't in the same room at least as the other tilers as that's when you get the 'its his fault not mine' type scenarios I guess. For the same reason I'd generally not want to work on a job while some other trade type is there unless it was somebody I knew.

I'd be refusing work if I were being undercut by some numpty though and just fixing problems they're causing type thing.

I never did much of, or liked sitework for those sorts of reasons to be honest.

I loved my domestic customers who let you ge ton with it and let you pick up the tiles and materials so you knew they were right etc etc - Never been a big fan of sitework I always thought it was a totally different breed of tiler that was capable up putting up with it long-term.
not talking about big sites Dan just small residential stuff being asked to do the tricky stuff while another tiler does the kitchen floor,my view is if he is good enough to do the kitchen floor get them to do the mosaic bathrooms

S

Spud

Be honest I'd be chuffed if someone got me to do the difficult work while the others were doing the easy work as long as my wages showed an appreciation of what I was doing....
I think it is a liberty Mark as the straight work is always better paid than the the tricky stuff and how embarrassing for the tiler who refuses to do the hard stuff as they dont have the tools or the ability to do it

P

Pebbs

Difficult one Gary, I have done split site work, normally hotels the rooms are the same, but you have your floors and they have theirs. But it can cause problems when your adhesive and trim goes missing and you go upstairs and find they have it, because the batch numbers are the same.

If you are happy with the rate they are offering ignore the other tilers, but make sure you lock your tools up. To many thieves around these days.

Lynn

W

White Room

I think it is a liberty Mark as the straight work is always better paid than the the tricky stuff and how embarrassing for the tiler who refuses to do the hard stuff as they dont have the tools or the ability to do it

As I said Gary, as long as your paid your worth for the difficult stuff....if the guys are on more for what they are doing then I see your side of it....

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

i see this in scotland ,between scot's tilers & polish tilers, the scots came in to the pool area to get away from the pol's ,then when the scots went for tea, the pol's arrived the other side of the pool area & both end's and started tiling so as to stop the scot's from getting on -it ,when the scot's came back there was a few punches thrown and the site -agent had to sort them all -out , we where just laughing from inside the pool

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Splitting jobs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
We stopped the tilersforums.com Job Of The Month Competition a while back because it was quite a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views
no i cant do your job before xmas..!!!!!! turning down 2/3 jobs per day all because it has to...
Replies
Views
V
Hi all we are a tiling company based in the north west but work nationwide we are looking for...
Replies
Views
White Room
W

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.