UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss spray on adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Actually Neale that system does work for lightweight mosaics in a non wet area. We used a similar product to mount glass mosaics onto 5mm thick 100mm wide hardboard strips. These were left for 4 hours or so and they were completely stuck, you would have to use a scraper or similar to get them off.
The strips were then fixed to the walls with strong glue and grouted, never had a callback in over 10 years.
Much faster and neater than having to pack out with adhesive as the glue does that job.

We must have been doing something right as we had calls from two other tiling firms working on Fitness First contracts asking how we got the mosaics dead straight and flat.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
We must have been doing something right as we had calls from two other tiling firms working on Fitness First contracts asking how we got the mosaics dead straight and flat.

Unlike in the video. Is it me or are they all over the place??

I think i'll stick with my bagged powder. Don't think quote prices would be justified if i just sprayed a glue on. I hate products like this.

D

diamondtiling

Unlike in the video. Is it me or are they all over the place??

I think i'll stick with my bagged powder. Don't think quote prices would be justified if i just sprayed a glue on. I hate products like this.

Have you tried or even seen a system like this?

I completely agree, its not for use with any large format tiles, even 100x100mm, stick with the powder all the time. But with small lightweight mosaics it works.
Might be best if you had the experience of trying it before its shot down in flames.

People said the same thing about pnuematic tyres, "I think I'll stick with these solid versions, I like to feel the bumps in the road"

D

diamondtiling

To be fair I can't see it being a professional product ever, and even 1 sheet of mosaics, I'd get the adhesive mixed myself I think.

And you're showing your age with the tyres thing there lol - Not something I remember!

No its not an age thing Dan, its just an example of how people get stuck in their ways and wont try things because its new and they have never seen it before.

The History of the Tyre | Blackcircles.com

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Have you tried or even seen a system like this?

I completely agree, its not for use with any large format tiles, even 100x100mm, stick with the powder all the time. But with small lightweight mosaics it works.
Might be best if you had the experience of trying it before its shot down in flames.

People said the same thing about pnuematic tyres, "I think I'll stick with these solid versions, I like to feel the bumps in the road"

What i mean when i say "I hate products like this" is products that give the customer/DIYer an alternative from getting a professional in. If the aim is for us as tilers to go in, open a can and spray it over the wall then what is the point of all the training, skills and developement we have all done to get where we are today?

I don't think there is any need to develop something to replace traditional adhesive. There's nothing difficult about using adhesive. But bring something onto the market where your customer is going to watch you open a can, spray it on and stick your mosaics to it. I know what i'd be thinking if i was the customer "what the hell am i paying you for, i could do that!"

That is why i HATE products like this.

D

diamondtiling

How could a product like this take away your business? It is an adhesive only, it won't automatically cut tiles, it won't magically lift them into place, it won't fit tiles around a socket. It won't grout and nor will it seal.
It won't come with a load of tiling tools in order to do the actual tiling and it won't silicone itself so how will it stop you from getting work?

As I said in my first post I used a similar system for SMALL GLASS MOSAICS that were 3mm thick and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't use it on a wall as the only adhesive, I only use bagged adhesive at any time. The glass mosaics in this picture are fixed in the same way, that was 8 years ago and they are still doing the job they were intended for.

7026.jpg

Attachments

• 6852.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 93
D

diamondtiling

Your missing my point, and the issue guys. My gripe is not with how well the product does the job etc. It's more a case of making these products targetted at the general public rather than trade specific. Why make the DIYers job easier?

Because its a multi billion pound industry and people will always come up with new ideas. Everything evolves around new inventions.

Reply to spray on adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.