UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Start up advice please!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

westcountrytile

Good evening guys,

I'm after a bit of advice!

After leaving school i worked as a trainee tiler and then went on to a further 4 of years of this before joining the Army. After leaving the Army 2 years ago and working in a office, this has quickly become very boring!! I am now looking to go self employed as a sole trader. I have booked onto a week long BAL course in October to touch up on skills and make sure that the whole concept of tiling hasn't changed over the last 7 years!!!

I am looking to start off by combining the tiling with maybe some multi drop driving or maybe general labouring, but i am wondering what the best ways are of picking work up? I have spoken to alot of mates that are plasterers, plumbers etc and hopefully they will be able to send work my way but was wondering whether there are any tips you are able to offer to keep a continual flow of work coming through? I am also looking at google addwords, do any of you guys use this? Have you found it worthwhile?

Is there any other ''start up'' advice that you are able to offer?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

W

White Room

Hi and welcome.....there's some good tradesmen who are struggling at the moment, I also have had bad times but to the fact I have been knocking around for 40 years albeit not wholly tiling and have had alot of contacts over the years which has kept in ticking over.

Friends and family freebies will help to get some experience back but for paying customers it has to be of quality that the customer is happy with.....good luck in your chosen career.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only constuctive advice i am able to put forward is please think carefully it is very hard out there at the moment i have now been fixing tiles for forty years well over twenty self employed and i have never known it as bad as it is at the moment ,i have days when i am waiting and hoping the phone will ring,not good .I dont want to put a dampener on your plans just be carefull if you have other work keep it going and like you say do it for friends and relatives but please dont just jump in with both feet or you will regret doing so ,good luck.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

The only constuctive advice i am able to put forward is please think carefully it is very hard out there at the moment i have now been fixing tiles for forty years well over twenty self employed and i have never known it as bad as it is at the moment ,i have days when i am waiting and hoping the phone will ring,not good .I dont want to put a dampener on your plans just be carefull if you have other work keep it going and like you say do it for friends and relatives but please dont just jump in with both feet or you will regret doing so ,good luck.

Hi and welcome, Brian has hit the nail on the head with his advice here. Good luck.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Start up advice please!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.