Discuss Starting a new job on monday ! How is work going for you ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

A swimming pool re-tile in the Malvern's, its an outdoor pool and will be under cover for the work to take place :thumbsup:.
No work after this, as the pool industry has lost lots of companies over this recession and it has deffo slowed the work that is out there , so this has had a knock on effect for me as well , i don't fancy having another winter of misery on/off work, and being undercut by foreigners and ripped-off by unscrupulous companies , so i was thinking of trying to get a job doing anything until it pick's-up, but i have my age against me for the first time in my life 53 :yikes: Any ideas lads as to what i could do ? that preferably didn't involve anything illegal or life threatening LOL

D

DHTiling

You could go work at B&Q ..
sHa_sarcasticlol.gif

Do you have any other skills..?

How about going out screeding floors etc... or get into the Anhydrite market.. screed pouring..

Well, were would I begin? Let down by my labourer, existing floor tiles decoupled, work couldn't go ahead as planned, existing tiles had to be removed, and now cleaned. Old screed cracked, needs anti-fracture or decoupling membrane, going to take manufacturer advice on that tomorrow. Customer not happy, but re-assured it will be done right. Schedule out of the window now, but still need to find a way to try and get it done in 2 weeks!

When the screed had been poured and I went to inspect it, the builders had covered the floor with a pallet and plasterboard, and it was out by a mile just where they had placed it. I can actually get my fingers under the level! Plus they had a protective covering over the existing floor which has failed, with a huge scaffold platform erected on it, so it couldn't be fully inspected until I started. However, I'm sure it's the crack in the screed and settling of the old house that is the primary cause of the failure. It's the first time I've had to give a customer bad news on this scale like this, so it wasn't a nice thing to do. I had to do it though, and be professional about it. She said she would look for a second opinion, so I told her to look here and go to the tile shop and ask if they have another fixer who would give a 2nd opinion also.

This has turned into an interesting one!

EDIT : Oh, and just to make Wednesday better, one of my buckets sprung a leak spilling cleaning solution over the customers garage floor. It had been there for 2 days with water in no problems, then mysteriously it gets a leak? Was only 3 weeks old, so still very flexible and not like it an old scabby bucket with residue either? Can only assume it took a knock and the contents of the bucket punctured from the inside. Only took 3 hrs to clean up and move 1000 reclaimed tiles up on to pallets and wash some of the tiles that got soaked also!!

Last edited:
S

Spud

A swimming pool re-tile in the Malvern's, its an outdoor pool and will be under cover for the work to take place :thumbsup:.
No work after this, as the pool industry has lost lots of companies over this recession and it has deffo slowed the work that is out there , so this has had a knock on effect for me as well , i don't fancy having another winter of misery on/off work, and being undercut by foreigners and ripped-off by unscrupulous companies , so i was thinking of trying to get a job doing anything until it pick's-up, but i have my age against me for the first time in my life 53 :yikes: Any ideas lads as to what i could do ? that preferably didn't involve anything illegal or life threatening LOL
I have a pool coming up in canterbury in 3 -4 weeks time Dave you can do that if you are available, give me a ring when you get a chance its only a small one approx 120m2

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

I have a pool coming up in canterbury in 3 -4 weeks time Dave you can do that if you are available, give me a ring when you get a chance its only a small one approx 120m2
I posted this thread when i thought i had run-out of work Gary!, i have a job to start monday now Thanks, and i have had an enquiry come-in for one in Hereford that i will go and see next week and if i can land that (fingers crossed that would be great ) but if you still need somebody mate nearer the time and i'am free i would love to help/do it mate .......

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Starting a new job on monday ! How is work going for you ? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all Having a bit of a mare; after having my last shower installation botched (but thankfully...
Replies
Views
Perfect Tiling
P
We have had a tile tile a bathroom and an ensuite and are not happy with the overall finish of...
Replies
Views
K
Hello, I am new to this site and seeking some advice on the tiling in our new bathroom. We are...
Replies
Views
Time's Ran Out
T
T
Hi all, I'm hoping you can give me an opinion on the quality of this work as I'm having a bit...
Replies
Views
I can't be the only to start a job and get stung with the amount of work in it. Typical...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB