Discuss Starting my Bathroom (building works only) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

mattyg

Ok guys.

I'm starting the building prep on my bathroom this week, ( well myself and my bricky cousin )And I'm after some tips tricks Ideas or just the correct way to do it.

Here's some pics to get us started.

1:

Bathroom 1 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

The unit on the left is staying but moving over to the right a bit. The wall with the towel rad is going and is to be replaced by a glass partition/wall floor to ceiling

2:

Bathroom 2 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

The Bath is being brought out to approx the same as the old chimney in the left corner. Unless we can remove it easily (not used and is full of cavity insulation) That should mean we can get the bath central (that'll help with the wife's OCD)

3:

Bathroom 3 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Thats the stud wall being removed and replaced with a glass partition. Got a few questions to ask about that. (could be a costly cockup)

4:

Bathroom 4 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

The minging shower. Last tiler did a crap job not bad at setting out but he aint getting another tiling job from me. :lol:
This is going to be a wetroom type of enclosure with a preformed wedi floor thingy.

Not the biggest of bathrooms. But we should be able to squeeze everything in.

Ok so Tuesday skip is coming and ripping out.

All taking back to brick. (original plaster from 1895 ) should make the bathroom a foot wider and longer:smilewinkgrin:

Floorboards coming up (winters coming and have a woodburning fire)

Noggings being put in to strengthen joists (bit of bounce) Then lay18mm WBP. Weve been advised to use acrylic primer on the Back?? and sides leaving 2mm perimter gaps and fill flexi or silicone.
Then lay 10mm insulation boards before electric UFH. And self level finally install 'Schluter Ditra' De-coupling membrane.

The wall are to be boarded using foil backed plasterboard most likely dot'n'dabbed not sure enough room or flat enough walls for a thin stud.

Shower wall to be boarded with marmox or Wedi waterproof backer boards

Ceiling is also being replaced and re skimmed.

The plasterer wants to also skim the walls. Incase we ever need to re tile we may end up reboarding.
However I dont like the Idea of waiting 4 weeks to tile afterwards. were not having heavy tiles so the hanging weight wont be an issue if we skim. But chances are even with only a skim it'll be flatter without.

I think thats it for now.

If I'm off with some details guys help me out.

I'm gonna need some guidance along the way especially when it comes to the wetroom part.

Thanks in advance
Matt

M

mattyg

Ok rip out starting tomorrow. A question has arisen with regards to depth of the Wedi fundo shower tray 40mm

If i'm removing the existing floor boards and replacing with 18mm WBP then insulating boards whats going to be the easiest way to make sure the floor height is the same as the fundo.

Another quickie if I cant get the marmox is it just normal Wedi building boards I'm after for the floor.

M

mattyg

Ok guys still trying to work out this floor issue with the height of the fundo

My thinking is removeing existing floorboards Laying 12mm wbp over joists extra noggins etc. Then overboard everywhere else (leaving a square for the fundo) with 18mm wbp. Then 10mm insulation board 3 mm for ufh 3mm for decoup and 5mm for addy Should give us 39mm up to the 40mm fundo approx 1mm slc

Or same as above but with the ply the other way round which will give us 33mm So slc 7mm

What do you guys think

Thanks
Matt

M

mattyg

What a nightmare today has been.

Deflection nightmares.

Spent all day putting noggins in. For it to only make 2mm differance still have 5mm worth of bounce. Damn dodgy plumbers cutting grooves in joists. Ended up having to fix 4x2 accross joists. Still a tiny bit left but hoping that will go when we fix the 18mm WBP.

So now the floor is another 2 inches higher than wanted. At this rate I'm gonna need another step into the room

M

mattyg

Update:

My poor house.

DSC_9533 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Deflection issue's sorted. But need a ladder now

DSC_9536 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Ply down, Glass 'n Shower tray in

DSC_9534 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

DSC_9535 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Had the doorway made smaller (only slightly but can now get std doors)

DSC_9539 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Floor insulated and SLC'd walls boarded and shower Wedi'd

DSC_9540 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

DSC_9541 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Still need to seal and tape joints

DSC_9543 by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

Mondays jobs

Install UFH and SLC and build frame for Bath.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
If your tiling from floor to ceiling there is no need to skim the plasterboard.Doesnt achive anything apart from having to wait for skim to dry ,paying to get it skimmed and possibly unleveling the surface to tile on.

And give the plasterer another days work that you have to pay for. Also, if you want to re-tile, who says that when you remove the tiles you won't damage the board anyway. Done it before where the walls have been damaged and had to re-board again.

M

mattyg

M

mattyg

Now that is a VERY FUNKY bathroom. Well done excellent job.
Are there any plans for an extract fan?

I put mine in the ceiling above the shower head.

The fan is.....

Bathroom done 6 fan by mpg Photo's, on Flickr

There above the towel rail.

Its a little louder than I had hoped so it may be getting swapped.

The bath has nearly drowned 2 people so far.(Both myself and the Other half she a bit shorter than me...Feet didnt reach the other end until her head was well under the water. I laughed so hard only to do the same myself..that'll learn me)

M

mattyg

Cheers guys, Although I can take no credit for the tiling. (After my last attempt I got a man in.) We had to compromise on the floor in the shower area we wanted the floor tiles to flow into the shower but alas we couldn't get it set out right there would have been a small cut running along the floor adj to the wall then up the front of the bath panel and then across the top. Which would have annoyed the hell out of me. So mosaics were used. At least it defines the area.

Overall really happy with it. I've learnt some valuable lessons. The main one being do the job right from the start prep prep prep.

The only job that didnt go to plan was the raising of the floor. We had a half step now its a full one into the bathroom. But it feels like its always been like that now.

To coin a southern phrase(sorry if ya southern) but the UFH is Lush.

Hopefully nothing will leak. Its got to get past tiles, grout, adhesive, Ditra, adhesive, slc, ufh, slc, wedi, adhesive, 22mm ply.

The shower is wicked, Although now we've got a bath I can get fully into the shower's only been used a couple of times. The bath takes a good 20 mins to fill up but its worth the wait.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Take that pat I gave you on the back and give it to your tiler....:lol: seriously though, nice choice of tiles, and you are right in the preparation. The setting out takes a while but its better to know where every cut is going to be before even fixing a tile to the wall. That annoying slither of tile that you have to look at for the next 10 yrs would drive you mad if you don't do it right.

Well done

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Starting my Bathroom (building works only) in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB