UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Starting up costs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Minty913

I'm hoping to do my course start of next year
they question is how much should I put away for start off cost before my wife gets hold of my tour bonus :thumbsdown:

I was thinking getting a medium size van for about £3000
that will leave me with £3000
would you just get the basics and buy as you go? Or just go for it before the wife has a chance to get her hands on it :smilewinkgrin:

Oh yeah just found out I'll be in Cyprus on my 30th birthday they have a 4 can rule but better than nothing

I

Ian

£3000 will get you a decent van for sure, a good wet saw and scribe cutter that can handle the hardest porcelain will cost you around 1000 for the pair, another £1000 should get you all the other necessary tools, drills, mixer, spirit levels, floats, trowels etc etc, I'd say £4500-5000 will cover the essentials and get you good quality gear.

Edit, that's for everything, including the van, not 5k on tools!

M

Minty913

£3000 will get you a decent van for sure, a good wet saw and scribe cutter that can handle the hardest porcelain will cost you around 1000 for the pair, another £1000 should get you all the other necessary tools, drills, mixer, spirit levels, floats, trowels etc etc, I'd say £4500-5000 will cover the essentials and get you good quality gear.

Edit, that's for everything, including the van, not 5k on tools!

Thanks for the reply now the hard part what wet saw to go for
and do most of you go with 110v just in case you have site work?

I

Ian

Dewalt d24000 wet saw for me, it's a big outlay though and there are cheaper options, I didn't buy mine til I'd been self employed for 3 years and had enough work to justify the investment. Before that I had the QEP bridgesaw (Topps sell them) which is about £200 and did a great job. Bear in mind if you buy a big wet saw it won't be getting used daily unless you are going to do a lot of stone work.

A

Aston

hi minty
i have decided to sell the bulk of my tiling equipment and concentrate soley on plastering/rendering and renovation work. I will still do tiling but purely on the back of the plastering first so i can make do with the very basics.

if you want to buy any of my tools i can guarantee you will save a lot of money and get the best equipment. you are welcome to view and trial anything first ;0)

it would mean travelling to liverpool from swindon but andy carroll, phil hobson and joe hillhead will all vouch that if i say the tools top quality ie brand and condition, then they most definitely are.

i have a dewalt tile saw used once from tradetiler with 2 blades, stand etc 110v
stabila 196/2 levels
brand new marcrist pg850
and lots of other equipment including sigma tile cutters (they are the best but i prefer using rubi so the sigmas are going)

anyway, i have sent you a pm so if you are interested, let me know asap otherwise they will go on here or ebay

cheers

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Starting up costs in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
C
Hi guys, just a little note to let you know my story. (Sorry if it bores you). I was in the...
Replies
Views
MW Smith Ceramics
M
I received an email last night from a guy local to me , he asked if I could do some tiling in...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, not a big poster on here but have my spells Basically, I'm 27 and I've been tiling for...
Replies
Views
mike1979
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.