UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss starting up your business ( advice please) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

scottyh

hi im new to the forum and would like some advice let me introduce myself first my name scott im 25 and have been tiling for about 6-7 years although it hasnt been constant tiling i have been working for someone else doing building and maintenence and i do the tiling when ever possible i hav tiled about 600 bathrooms for that purple hotel lol i dont want to mention there name and done quite a few domestic bathrooms and kitchens stone ceramics moasic etc any way after 6 years the person i work for has run out of work which means ive run out of work i dont want to start a new job at the bottom of the food chain again so im looking to open up a business of my own the only think is i dont have a clue how to go about it and how do i start getting work any advice would be much appreciated guys thanks again scott

B

bugs183

Hiya Scott.
Welcome to the site.
I wish i'd have asked this question at 25, but these forums weren't around then!
No 1 is be on top of your cash flow. Being self employed you cannot judge how much money you are going to earn each month, for al sorts of reasons.
Everyone does things differently but this is working for me.
Ideally you'll need three accounts. Your business account,a current account, and an account for tax etc. These are self explanatory. Work out your monthly out goings for your business (van insurance, National insurance etc), and your private expenditures (rent, bills etc). It's hard to do but try and save a couple of months worth of payments in each account, that way you can ride out any short fall in payments etc.
Learning excel is really handy, you can use it for invoicing, pricing, etc. Amazing program.
The taxman will want his cut so work out the labour on your invoice, take off 30%, and this will work out roughly as the tax. Put this 30% into your tax account, and don't spend it!!!!! If you can be disciplined enough with saving this money then the year tax bills won't be a headache as you should have already saved it. Its taken me years to get into the habit as my money always got spent on holidays and fun, then it wasn't fun when the Tax bill popped through the letterbox.
These tips are just for starters, i'm sure there'll be more to follow.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hiya Scott.
Welcome to the site.
I wish i'd have asked this question at 25, but these forums weren't around then!
No 1 is be on top of your cash flow. Being self employed you cannot judge how much money you are going to earn each month, for al sorts of reasons.
Everyone does things differently but this is working for me.
Ideally you'll need three accounts. Your business account,a current account, and an account for tax etc. These are self explanatory. Work out your monthly out goings for your business (van insurance, National insurance etc), and your private expenditures (rent, bills etc). It's hard to do but try and save a couple of months worth of payments in each account, that way you can ride out any short fall in payments etc.
Learning excel is really handy, you can use it for invoicing, pricing, etc. Amazing program.
The taxman will want his cut so work out the labour on your invoice, take off 30%, and this will work out roughly as the tax. Put this 30% into your tax account, and don't spend it!!!!! If you can be disciplined enough with saving this money then the year tax bills won't be a headache as you should have already saved it. Its taken me years to get into the habit as my money always got spent on holidays and fun, then it wasn't fun when the Tax bill popped through the letterbox.
These tips are just for starters, i'm sure there'll be more to follow.

All good advice, also think about advertising, drop some business cards into your local tile shops. Good luck and :welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony73

TF
Arms
acton w3, london
Hi and :welcome:. As above, and some accountant companies can help to start/register your company, open accounts, give you info how to calculate tax etc. And you would pay around £100.00 per month. Also if you drop bussiness cards to local tile shops, best if you have a chat with shop manager and offer him say 10-15% from jobs you would get from his clients. Good luck :thumbsup:

A

Andrew Case

Hi and :welcome:. As above, and some accountant companies can help to start/register your company, open accounts, give you info how to calculate tax etc. And you would pay around £100.00 per month. Also if you drop bussiness cards to local tile shops, best if you have a chat with shop manager and offer him say 10-15% from jobs you would get from his clients. Good luck :thumbsup:

That's a good idea. I like it.
Ive just started setting up my business but am having to run it alongside my day job. Will watch this thread with interest.

P

Peter

The main thing to be successful is to have plenty of contacts. Would be advisable to try and get regular work off plumbers, builders, tile shops etc. If it's solely on word of mouth and advertising then it'll take a long time to get established. Those who are busy and willing to give you work will help fast track you. It is my belief that if you do a good job and charge a fair price then you'll never be short of work. Good luck in your venture.

martin1c

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Welcome to the form Scott. All of the above very useful. Also, consider getting an A-board printed with your details and leave it in prominent places, check your local planning applications each week via the planning website and write a personal letter to anyone who has recently been given planning approval introducing your services.

When you do quote for work make sure to explain everything you do as it justifies the price and makes you look more professional. Also, smile! A lot of tradesmen don't and they're the ones struggling for work. When quoting for someone's business they're asking themselves if you're professional, if your quote is reasonable (not cheap) and whether they would want you in their house. Do everything you can to set them at ease.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to starting up your business ( advice please) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Hi, My tiler has just left and apart from him chatting to me about his life story for majority...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.