Discuss Steam Room which Grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

Wet Room

Hi, I've built a shower / steam cubical 1.5m by 1m after a rather painful bank holiday weekend ripping out and cladding with Wedi Board.

I have followed all the Wedi rules and it's turned out very well IMO.

I am now getting quotes from Tilers.

I have always had it in my mind that Epoxy Grout MUST be used for a Vapour proof surface and that a Cement Based Flexi adhesives could be used to bolt the tiles on to the Wedi.

I have been told by one chap that he called Bal to be told that he could use Bal Superflexi. I personally think this is incorrect.

Can I have your professional opinions please?

I'm happy to share pics and info of the install if anyone is interested.

Many thanks

B.

A

Alberta Stone

Go with epoxy, but don't economize and get the large units.
It is appealing to do so as the cost of multiple small units adds up, but you don't want your grouter to be splitting a kit down in size.
Spend the extra cash and get a job you can stop worrying about.

Epoxy is a snap to work with if you follow 2 rules:
1- mix small batchs
2- use lots of water to wash and have lots of clean rags and white scrubbies around.
When epoxy is fresh mixed it works in and washs nice, but once the stuff reachs the end of its potlife it turns into treacle/bubblegum and can make your day go really bad.
There is a product which I saw recently which is used to remove epoxy grout haze, but that should only be a problem if you don't apply it right.

G

GazTech

BAL Easypoxy
easypoxy.jpg

Hygienic, impervious epoxide resin based ceramic tile grout specifically formulated to resist chemical attack and to provide a durable, abrasion-resistant, waterproof finish. The cured grout does not transfer taints to foodstuffs or permit the entry of bacteria or dirt and is easily maintained in a sterile condition. Also suitable as a high performance epoxy adhesive for fixing ceramic tiles, on walls, floors, and worktops in interior and exterior situations. Especially suited for use in bakeries, breweries, restaurants, dairies, kitchens, medical practices and industrial plant rooms.

BAL Easypoxy meets the requirements of BS 5980:1980 for resistance to mould growth. It also conforms to BS 5385:part 4:1992:section 9, for use in sterile conditions. The product additionally meets the requirements of “The Materials and Articles in Contact with Food Regulations 1987”, “The Food Safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 1995” and the EC Directive 93/43 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs 1993. Conforms to BS EN 13888, Type R, Class G1.

D

drrazabutt

sooooo
Hi, I've built a shower / steam cubical 1.5m by 1m after a rather painful bank holiday weekend ripping out and cladding with Wedi Board.

I have followed all the Wedi rules and it's turned out very well IMO.

I am now getting quotes from Tilers.

I have always had it in my mind that Epoxy Grout MUST be used for a Vapour proof surface and that a Cement Based Flexi adhesives could be used to bolt the tiles on to the Wedi.

I have been told by one chap that he called Bal to be told that he could use Bal Superflexi. I personally think this is incorrect.

Can I have your professional opinions please?

I'm happy to share pics and info of the install if anyone is interested.

Many thanks

B.

Reply to Steam Room which Grout? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Trying to choose tiles for my steam/shower room. Would like mosaic for ceiling & seat, and a...
Replies
Views
Guys, I'm unsure what grout to choose for our latest project and I'm hoping you can help. We're...
Replies
Views
Advice needed, noticed some grout that was cracked and tiles becoming loose in our en suite wet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Steam Room which Grout?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.