Guest viewing is limited

Tiling Tool Suppliers

We recommend a couple of the best tiling tool suppliers, Pro Tiler Tools and Trade Tiler

Both supply the best tiling tool supplies, cutter makes, tile trims etc.

Discuss Still confused about dry cutters in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Really could do with your help, folks. I know a lot has been said about dry cutters, but before I spend any money I want to make sure I get the right thing straight off.

Ok, I do artistic mosaics but want to combine that with 'normal' tiling, walls only due to dicky knee.

Am very interested in creating patterns and features with normal tiles, too, so diagonal cuts will be necessary.

I DON'T plan to become a full time professional tiler, more to just see what happens with my plentyful ideas, ideally I would like to move into the "it's good to have a female tiler about who can ALSO do some unusual features" niche, and if I need help with floor or more macho tiling I'll ask for help from BDS or whoever is nearest.

I used the Genesis cutter with Rubi wheel at NETT and was happy using that, but not so happy with the weight, tried to lift the longer one and thought it was screwed down!, (I am pretty strong but have history of two slipped discs which makes me somewhat paranoid about lifting)

Contacted Dave form Tradetiler who tells me that the Rubi Star 60 plus is a good starter cutter (why, what makes it a starter cutter?) and GUESSES it's a lot lighter, well, a guess?... Darren can't tell me how much the Genesis ones weigh... and lots of people here talk about the weight of the rubi ones...

So the upshot is, if you had to choose a cutter for me, for part time work but would have to be able to cut diagonals of wall tiles neatly, and not be crazy heavy, nor, of course, crazy expensive - which one would you choose?

Starting the bathroom soon and will need one then...

All help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

S

sWe

I'm a Montolit man. I mainly use a Montolit Masterpiuma 63P2 and a Minipiuma 26PB. Both handle diagonal cuts very well, they're ergonomical, and they're also light weight, yet extremely sturdy and well built.

The Minipiuma 26PB weighs only three kilos and handles 36cm straight cuts and 25x25 tiles on the diagonal. There is a slightly larger version of it, which handles 45cm straight cuts and 31x31cm tiles on the diagonal, as you can probably divine from the table in the link.

The Masterpiuma weighs in at 8.3 kilos, and handles pretty much everything I throw at it with ease. It handles 62cm straight cuts and 44x44cm tiles on the diagonal.

I'd recommend getting the Montolit Mosaic mat if you work alot with mosaics.

If you want to do some really artistic stuff, you should probably get a Montolit Combi Slalom. You can do curved cuts with it; watch the video whydontcha. EDIT: Ooops, wrong vid link. Updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Alberta Stone

Since we tend to do a lot of stone we don't really use dry cutters much, but we have a ts-40 rubi which works well. My wife/partner likes using it and it is light to pack around.
Not so good for diagonals though, so the ts-60 or that montolit swe mentioned looks like it would work well.
Maybe rent a couple of different ones for your next few jobs and see which you like better.

S

sWe

Since we tend to do a lot of stone we don't really use dry cutters much, but we have a ts-40 rubi which works well. My wife/partner likes using it and it is light to pack around.
Not so good for diagonals though, so the ts-60 or that montolit swe mentioned looks like it would work well.
Maybe rent a couple of different ones for your next few jobs and see which you like better.

I'm I correct in thinking that natural stone seems more common than ceramic materials in North America?

Reply to Still confused about dry cutters in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Still confused about dry cutters
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Kerakoll

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Ardex

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Mapei

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Ultra Tile

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • BAL

Votes: 26 30.2%