UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Stone floor ruined in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Been to see the most beautiful limestone floor today laid over gyvlon screed. 40k worth of limestone throughout two floors of a large new build house. Really lovely ob. Unfortunately the reason i went to see it is because the tiles had begun to fail and were moving on the screed. The tiler had done a cracking job on the prep and all was done really well so i was surprised to get the call. When we lifted a tile the g-mat uncoupling membrane came apart with the platic part stuck firm to the bottom of the adhesive on the tile and the fabric part stuck fast to the adhesive on the screed. There was no sign of any problem other than this.

I know there were a few threads started some while ago abut problems with this mat. Is there anyone who can say if this problem is characteristic of those problems. There was a lovely crackiling noise like walking on crisp bags when walking on some of the tiles.

Also what was the resolution been as it would be lovely if there was some sort of resin injection system available to pump under the tiles to restick everything. I fear it will all have to come up which would be a crying shame.

Hate it when things go wrong like this

T

The D

:thumbsdown: 12102011197.jpg :thumbsdown:
Gmat are now saying the new mat is out of stock and there is a supply problem and that is why they changed the mat in the first place. the person I spoke to said the only problems they had with Gmat where all down to fixer error.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

I

Ian

:thumbsdown: View attachment 34867 :thumbsdown:
Gmat are now saying the new mat is out of stock and there is a supply problem and that is why they changed the mat in the first place. the person I spoke to said the only problems they had with Gmat where all down to fixer error.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Another company not prepared to stand up and be counted. If the fleece has debonded from the membrane how can that possibly be fixer error???? That's the one part of the process the fixer has nothing to do with!!! There are bound to be more failures unfortunately so maybe eventually they will have to do the decent thing and admit the mat is at fault.

S

Spud

good thread Alan I know of at least 3 jobs that have failed on the old g-mat talking to some contacts within the resin flooring industry it has been suggested that the mat may be failing due to the glue that the fleece was stuck with has been changed from a P.U based adhesive to a modified silicone based adhesive to comply with the EU voc regulations but this is just speculation, my contacts have suggested that 2 samples of the mat could be tested at Oxford Brookes university at their gas chromatography laboratory see exactly what its made from and if it has been changed during the period of when the failures started to arise ,I sure that with such a massive amount of money involved and some seriously wealthy customers involved that there will be court cases coming.

S

Spud

:thumbsdown: View attachment 34867 :thumbsdown:
Gmat are now saying the new mat is out of stock and there is a supply problem and that is why they changed the mat in the first place. the person I spoke to said the only problems they had with Gmat where all down to fixer error.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:[/QUOTE) This is a typical answer from when a company wants to side step a product failure they try to blame the installer knowing that most installers dont want the hassle of taking them to court and dont want their reputations damaged by upset customers , perhaps we should start a thread where by you can record where and when you bought the products and photos of the failure and shame them into admitting there is a problem

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I agree we need to document jobs to cover our own reputations, I think it is scandalous that we as pro's have been recommending these products in good faith, thinking we are looking out for the customers best interest. Only to be told it is our fault, I have followed the installation instructions to the letter, as I'm sure we all have. I hope this issue is resolved by the people who are responsible.

Not the fixers..........:mad2:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I had a failure with the old Dural style mat ( same as G-mat).. Dural promptly came out and sorted the problem with an injection system..

They are as far as i know the only comp who sold the older style mat that are taking responsibility .... a few comps sold/sell the older style mat.

If you have any details of the resin injction they did i would be really interested dave.

This oneis deffo not installer error.

G

gubbins

Fortunately this customer is the md of a major contracting company and is used to dealing with issues like this. Makes it no more pallatable but at least he has a chance unlike vsome of the smaller domestic customers i know.

i hope youre not including me in that Ajax <inserts emoticon>

So much to update on my own floor failing thread but will have to wait a couple of days till we get some results back from the mapei lab and I can put up some photos (but in v short patches of adhesive under the lifted (broken up) tile appeared damp, lots of it had separated cleanly from the tile pieces, PVA primer had lifted off screed and didnt look healthy....not a good outlook all in all....but i wonder if this secret resin injection is the same as whats been pushed onto me by my contractor ie gorilla glue ),

thanks for all your help again ajax (and the other chaps)you're all stars:thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

i hope youre not including me in that ajax <inserts emoticon>

so much to update on my own floor failing thread but will have to wait a couple of days till we get some results back from the mapei lab and i can put up some photos (but in v short patches of adhesive under the lifted (broken up) tile appeared damp, lots of it had separated cleanly from the tile pieces, pva primer had lifted off screed and didnt look healthy....not a good outlook all in all....but i wonder if this secret resin injection is the same as whats been pushed onto me by my contractor ie gorilla glue ),

thanks for all your help again ajax (and the other chaps)you're all stars:thumbsup:

pva ???????

Reply to Stone floor ruined in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm hoping you can offer some advice to help solve an age related problem. I have an...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Ajax123

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Lincolnshire
Website
https://www.lkabminerals.com/en/products/gypsol/
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)

Thread Information

Title
Stone floor ruined
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.