UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Stone ledge tile fitting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mercedism

Currently fitting stone ledge tiles (the stack type) on a fireplace. Have been using spacers to keep these level and worked out the fireplace opening correctly.

As its only one wall i just have the the straight run up to the ceiling to finish. Tiles are 600 x 150mm.

Ceiling to floor is accurate but for some reason the coving is out, although this does match up with the rest of the room.

Unfortunately didn't spot this earlier and am now left with 640mm on the left and 620mm on the right. If i continue level i don't think it will look right and will have trouble at the coving.

Based on 150mm tile height i have 4 full rows to play with, the stone ledges are about 30mm each but have loads of offcuts so could fit them indvidually at the end and cut down if need be.

But would you say the best option here is as they are stacked stone, is to stop following level and bring up the left side 2.5mm every row to bring this back to being level at coving or try and cut the stone in on final row or any other way.

Was pleased with the work up to then.

M

mercedism

Thanks for the idea but you were right it was too late. Have cut in the last row as best as i can but left with an approximate 15cms left to right gap of about 1cm high that i can't cut the tiles small enough. As its natural stone they just splinter and flake where the stone is made up of layers.

Tried several methods but looks like i need to fill the gap with some black or very dark grey type caulk. Just to take the eye away from the gap. Could really do with it in tube form for ease of application.

Any suggestions on what i could use?

Thanks for the idea but you were right it was too late. Have cut in the last row as best as i can but left with an approximate 15cms left to right gap of about 1cm high that i can't cut the tiles small enough. As its natural stone they just splinter and flake where the stone is made up of layers.

Tried several methods but looks like i need to fill the gap with some black or very dark grey type caulk. Just to take the eye away from the gap. Could really do with it in tube form for ease of application.

Any suggestions on what i could use?

any chance of removing at least 2 rows then do again vertical? i know its a pain to remove but if you are carefull it can be done being natural stone might not be too bad. might be worth a crack nigel :thumbsup:

M

mercedism

Haven't used a wet saw. Can't double stack as they are odd shapes, even trying to clamp down they splinter.

Won't be removing any coving as job is complete bar the touching up.
Again won't be removing top layer as again i only need to fill top gap.

I thought the filling would cover up the slight gap nicely.

Have added some pictures to my album.

mercedism's Album: mercedisms personal kitchen

M

mercedism

No adhesive of mine, been careful to wipe them off. Although they are bonded together with what smells like some fibreglass resin which there are odd bits showing through. These can be touched up with a permanent marker to take away the whiteness. Also there are are some micro cracks which have been repaired in the factory where they have again used some white and even some red fillers. These can also be touched up if need be. Some were muddy and dusty.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Stone ledge tile fitting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Are there any BS standards covering this please I have recently had 3 sides of a shower tiled...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Stone ledge tile fitting
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.