Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Stone tiles not sticking to plywood floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BexH

We have put plyboard down over wooden floor boards and have stone travertine tiles. We have bought Uni bond powder adhesive which we mixed with unibond flexi additive, as per the instructions and applied to the tile. We have laid the tiles and about half have not stuck to the floor, help?! The adhesive is sticking to the tile but not thr floor. Where are we going wrong, can we reuse the tiles that have adhesive stuck to them?

Thanks

D

davy_G

Hi Bex,
As alot of the chaps said, the 6mm ply is not thick enough to keep the floor rigid although i dont think thats the issue your seeing at the minute as it should not debond the tiles straight away. Unless when you junp on the floor you can feel it moving??
As some suggest it may be more to do with the ply not being primed to prepare it for tiling and the adhesive type and fixing method.
What size are the tiles? Did you back butter them as well as comb the mix onto the floor? Did they get a good twist when in place and did you lift any to check the coverage?
Did the adhesive dry properly on the back of the tiles that debonded?
Was it repid set and if so did you happen to add any more water at any time after initial mixing?

I'm also thinking did you lay floor and tile straight away, and was it dusty?

My guess is it was not primed, wrong trowel/not enough adhesive and possible dust contamination being the main factors in why the adhesive should fail so quickly! And how long before you walked on it?

The 6mm ply isn't suitable, so maybe read what the others said above and re-think it before fixing again. Good luck next time.

Just read the first post again...travertine!! Definately worth thinking about getting someone in (not just anyone who can tile!).

I'll be laying my first (since I started out as a tiler) 3.5sq m trav floor tommorrow. Was already prep'd with 18mm ply by the customer and he wasn't going to change it!! So I made sure it was screwed down at 100mm centre's, installed DITRAMATT with 1pt flexible rapid set and used a 4mm trowel (which I just got home from doing) and tomorrow I'll be laying the floor with a white 2pt flexible adhesive, and 10mm trowel.

Even with the little experience I have, I'll still be going in with my rear end twitching!! :lol:

Reply to Stone tiles not sticking to plywood floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Stone tiles not sticking to plywood floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.