Discuss Stop the cowboy tilers. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

A message to the customers out there looking for a tiler , please please check out your tiler before employing one.

A cheap price does not always dictate you will get a top tiling job .

There are so many i can do that types out there that WILL ruin your tiling and blow your hard earned cash.

stop-cowboy-builders.jpg

Don't get caught out and become a victim of the Cowboy tiler.

T

trevortine

It's never gonna stop Dave, wish it would but there's always a stream of these guys lurking around. What gets me is how they get the work? I done a couple of jobs locally last year for a guy that just opened up a bathroom shop, found myself resheeting walls and fitting hardie to floors that had, ahem, been prepped!! After the third I told him where to go, to this day he still works away and has more work than most.

Houston

TF
Arms
IMG_0996[1].jpg IMG_0997[1].jpg
Fulready Stratford
These walls had 25m2 limestone 600x400 tiles fixed on them about 14months ago with spf adhesive without any primer. My telephone conversation with builder, he was adamant they had primed walls and ONLY spot and dabbed the toilet wall to bring wall level with floor, the reason for debonding of the tiles was faulty adhesive. I explained about solid bed fixing with all natual stone, their method of fixing /substrate/weight and primer issues etc.. any concerns with adhesive, manufacturer would be out within a few days and about toilet/vanity/shower cubicles sanitary walls were the only things holding these tiles to the wall. The walls in pictures have now been primed now which highlights his spot and dab method more than ever. Client is going to stand firm when builder and tilers retunn tomorrow so will keep you posted

H

HorribleHagar

A message to the customers out there looking for a tiler , please please check out your tiler before employing one.

I was in porcelanosa on Thursday and talked to a tiler that was tiling in the shop. I told him I have two rooms needing tiled and asked if he was interested. Needless to say he was. His tiling looked great. I told him about a leaking shower that will need to be retiled and also told him that it seems to be the wall is too weak/movement is causing the grout to crack. Furthermore I said that the shower stall hadn't been tanked.

His reply to me was ' You wouldn't tank that'...'you mean a shower with three tiled walls?' 'Aye I wouldn't tank it, but by all means it's fine if you do'.

Needless to say he won't be getting any business from me. Moral of the story.. lovely tiling doesn't equal good tiler. There seems to be a massive gap between technical knowledge and the art of tiling itself. Unless there is some form of certification there is no way consumers can make the right choice.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Stop the cowboy tilers. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

If you need help finding a good tile shop, then please post in this forum area. This is a new...
Replies
Views
@3_fall and I were trying to come up with a way, or a name for a forum, for this. We wanted to...
Replies
Views
C
hi there, i was not sure if i should put this in find a tiler section as i was more hoping the...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
W
I’m thinking about compiling a list/checklist for prospective customers to ask their Tilers...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
R
Evening All, I wonder if you can help me.. I'm trying to contact as many tilers as possible in...
Replies
Views
MTiler
M

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB