Discuss straw wall prep in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

merit

TF
any one had experience of trying to prep with these walls of the devil
basically its compressed straw with a paper front much like plaster board
it had been skimmed when installed which i have scrapped off, leaving this paper face
the walls are made to suit dimensions of the house , so no timbers are used in their construction
options
prime with apd or other, test a tile on paper face, see if paper is adhered like plaster board
6mm hardi or other over the wall and plug and screw washers ect with full bed of adhesive,ive tryed with a plug and screw and you can get a fix
its above a bath with porcelain tiles
taking the wall down is not an option, landing and bedroom ajoin
thanks in advance

bluesky

TF
Arms
cambridge
nightmare and bloody heavy !
i was refitting a bathroom where it had got wet and ended up completely removing the straw wall and rebuilding it with studwork ,hardi on wet side and plasterboard on bedroom side , replastered bedroom -tanked bathroom wall where bath was . quite a lot of extra work involved on mine !
hard work getting wall out as so heavy - cut in 1/4 s in situ .
good luck

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to straw wall prep in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello gents! Long time lurker, first time poster.... I’m just fitting out our en-suite bathroom...
Replies
Views
Allan D
A
J
got a job starting Tuesday the outer walls are plaster board dot and dab on to breeze block...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, First post, so please be gentle! Preping our bathroom to drag it out of the early 90s...
Replies
Views
C
Been out to price a job in an old house, parts of the walls the plaster/scratch coath has failed...
Replies
Views
C

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB