Discuss Straw walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I've done a couple, if the walls need repairing it's a case of just priming and using rapid set, if they need reboarding the boards have to be stuck to the original surface as there are no studs in them, or at least the ones I've done haven't had.
That's what I can't get my head round the fact there's no studs to fix to.
I have to strip the old tiles off .....so if it needs re-boarding what do you use to stick the new board on ?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Generally, old tiles come off "stramitt" walls quite easilly. Where it needs patching, or the paper has come away. I have found that prime well, then apply slurry coat of rapid set, mixed with SBR. Then tile as normal.
If you need to chase pipes in, expect the contents of a small field to come out!
Somtimes the best remedy is to screw 2x1" timbers vertically amd screw to the timber, top and bottom. Then use 12 gauge screws to fix directly into the board.

W

White Room

That's what I can't get my head round the fact there's no studs to fix to.
I have to strip the old tiles off .....so if it needs re-boarding what do you use to stick the new board on ?

I would do strips of dri wall adhesive on the stramit board and let them set so where you put adhesive on the wall for the boards it's on those strips...if you see what I mean.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Also take care when drilling! First encounter with a straw wall and it snagged on my drill and I wasn't paying attention and it pulled and damaged the wall. Not a problem once you're aware of that possibility (if you feel it happen just go in reverse to get out) - glad I'd learnt my lesson for final fix when drilling through tiles.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Straw walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB