UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Straw with a skim coat in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Evening all, I've just been to look at a job I'm starting next week and the client has removed all the old tiles from around the bath area revealing a wall that is a straw centre with a skim coat, annoyingly I left my phone at home so didn't get a pic. Basically what I'm asking is, how are these walls constructed? Is there a stud frame inside or is it a solid piece that will need to be overboarded? I don't want to rip it down and find its all one wall and end up in the bedroom next door! It's an internal wall, all the external walls are sand/cement render with skim coat and the house was built mid 1980's. If anyone could shed some light on this construction method and possibly give me some pointers of the best way of tackling it, I'd be most grateful :thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Yeah that's right Mark, a paper layer ontop (soaking wet!!!!) then the skim coat. I'm thinking mechanically fix cement boards over the top, what do you reckon?

Hi Bri, I remember this stuff, along the same lines of paramount boards, in the link that Mark put up it says you can fix to it, so I would think your Idea of a mechanical fix may be the way to go. I would like to see any other imput from members with more experience with this board.:thumbsup:

D

Daz

There's a housing estate local to me that's is done with them. They are rock solid provided that the cardboard coating is intact. You will muller every blade that you have if you try to cut sections out of them.

There is absolutely no need to overboard them unless working with stone, Bri as they are stronger than standard plasterboard. Treat them the same as you would plasterboards, i.e. tank wet areas etc..

Regards,

Daz

I

Ian

I've done a few and overboarded with marmox. I used the 2.4 x 0.6 sheets of 12.5mm. I fixed them horizontally with SPF addy combed on the walls and fixings into the panels timber surround. It's not easy screwing into them as the timber is normally quite narrow.

Created on iPhone.....

Ahh so there is a frame around the outside, that's one of the things I was trying to find out, I was a little wary of just plugging and screwing into the straw.

I

Ian

Why are you tanking cement boards? Just make sure the joints are water tight and fire a splodge of silicone into the plugs before screwing.

Daz

Water can still get through them, its a bit of a belt and braces approach as I don't want the wall to get anymore water damage. Maybe a bit OTT but for the sake of £45 and an hour of my time to tank it, I'll go with it. I do agree with you though, not something I would usually do!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Straw with a skim coat in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm redoing my bathroom that I did 15 odd years ago. Before it was tiled with 20x20...
Replies
Views
I think I'd heard of straw walls but I'd never actually seen them until last week. Plumber...
Replies
Views
H
Hello - first post here but first thanks for all the great info I've gained as a lurking guest...
Replies
Views
hitthenorth
H
D
Hi, thought I'd start a new post as I'm not getting any replies on my old post, and I really...
Replies
Views
D
Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me out with some bathroom tiling related queries! :) A...
Replies
Views
Delosdos
D

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Straw with a skim coat
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.