Discuss stuck on nvq3 questions ! laying sand and cement screeds... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

hi all ! iam half way through my nvq3 but seriously stuck on a few questions and wondering if you guys could help as its a LOT harder than i thought ! :yikes:
il list a few i am not sure on and any help would be fantastic ! :thumbsup:

1. briefly describe a floating screed and the laying spec.
2. describe the essential requirements for laying a floor screed on compressible material.
3. state the main resons for mixing flooring materials semi dry.
4. explain the meaning of the terms OBM and TBN.
5. state the most common bedding method used for external surfaces.
6. describe a test carried out to ensure that a sand/cement screed is suitable for laying a tiled floor.
7. name 2 main factors to be observed when setting out for treads and risers.
8. explain briefly the use of a protimeter and a electro-thermo hygrometer.
9. what materials should never be used to clean limestone.
10. what applications should be applied before fixing stone slabs .

D

Deleted member 1779

You want us to do your homework for you? :lol:
=====================================
OK I will do number two for you!

2. describe the essential requirements for laying a floor screed on compressible material.

A levelling screed laid on a compressible layer such as thermal or sound insulating material, should be at least 65 mm thick, or, if containing heating pipes, a minimum of 75 mm thick.

All conduits should be firmly fixed covered with suitable crack control mesh and given a minimum cover of 25 mm. BS 8204-1 recommends that
where possible pipes and conduits should not be laid within the thickness of a levelling screed.

NOTE: Levelling screeds should be divided into bays only if they are to contain under floor heating pipes or are intended to receive an in situ floor finish.
Source

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tfs

Literature I was given when doing the SVQ level 2 course (which covered aspects of level 3)

1. Check steps for level across width and depth of treads

2. Check risers for plumb

3. Check steps for parallel and width at top, mid point and base

4. Check tread ends for square with abutment walls

I would imagine that the two main observations would be (based on my experience at college)

1- All risers are equal in height
2- All treads are equal in depth

It is worth noting that there are building regulations restricting height of treads etc when tiling steps.

Hope this helps mate

Last edited by a moderator:

2020Tiling

Literature I was given when doing the SVQ level 2 course (which covered aspects of level 3)

I would imagine that the two main observations would be (based on my experience at college)

It is worth noting that there are building regulations restricting height of treads etc when tiling steps.

Hope this helps mate

helps a lot mate ! thanks for your input ! :thumbsup:

S

Spud

Hope this helps mate
The two main observations when setting out would be 1) The total height of the steps from bottom to top ( storey height or rise)
2)The total width from the face of top tread to the face of the bottom (the going) Its only by knowing these two totals that the steps can be set out correctly, Tfs is right that once finished all tread widths should be equal and all riser heights should be equal

S

Spud

1. floating screed is unbonded to the substrate, use of a membrane is advisable ,the thickness over a concrete substrate must be minumum of 38mm to a maximum of 50mm reinforcement mesh is recommended
2.see 365 drills answer
3.mixing the materials semi-dry enables great compression of the material giving a stronger bond strength and eases workability
4. cant remember what obm and tbn mean
5.slurry bond coat
6.the grasp method grabbing a hand ful of sand and cement if you grasp it in you hand and compress it if it hold together well without falling apart it is ready to use
7. already answered that
8.protimeter measures moisture content the hygrometer measures humidty
9. most acids especially spirit of salts(hydrochlroic acid)
10.stone slabs should be sealed and the backs slurried with bonding slurry

Reply to stuck on nvq3 questions ! laying sand and cement screeds... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

E
Hi All, Ive been hearing on the grape vine that there is a lot of confusion around tiling on...
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
Hi all This is my 1st posting & would appreciate member's feedback I tiled my power showered...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
U
Hi there, I have read a lot about tiling on new screed and I'm still confused. Before I start...
Replies
Views
J
just seen gary the tiler entry on jotm may , which is excellent . dont think even many of the...
Replies
Views
Pebbs
P
I
Hi All, Been having a bit of a headache about tiling outdoors and posted a number of threads...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
stuck on nvq3 questions ! laying sand and cement screeds...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.