Discuss stud finder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

I've looked into them a bit but they are seem incredibly unreliable. Taping the wall for wood studs is the way to go. Anything else grit your teeth, close your eyes and hope :-o
I think grit your teeth and close your eyes is the worst of the worste way to go lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Ask my lass mate she found me...

I bet she wont be sayin that mate pmsl

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I have to confess I've put my SDS straight through the mains cold pipe in a wall before.
It was ran in plastic off a coil so bowed as it went fown the cavity. Posh 5 bed house in a downstairs WC. just finished installing new WC and vanity along with tiling all walls in slate.
Last two holes to hang a mirror and went straight through the centre.

Mains water smacking you full on in the face whilst your also holding a 240v drill is not pleasant!

M

Mr Tiler

no video mate? haha imagesCAZ5Y3IQ.jpg

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I use a combination of tape measure, bradawl and the old doctors percussion fingers. Did have a stud finder once but it wouldn't find the studs..... It did find the water pipe into which I tried to screw a shelf bracket in the kitchen...Which was a blittle annoying

M

Mr Tiler

I use a magnet to find screw heads in studs, works for me. And yes, like everyone else I have hit pipes and cables while drilling. its just one of those things that you have to resign yourself to the fact that it will happen now and again and there isn't a lot you can do about it!
I suppose that's what insurance is for eh! BET CUSTOMERS ARE NOT HAPPY WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN THO LOL

A

AMtek

I've never had one that's taken it any other way than as an accident. If you do happen to hit a pipe don't run round like a headless chicken, calmly turn the water off and open as many taps as you can to drain the water from the pipes. If its a gravity fed system uncover the hole in the pipe as quickly and calmly as you can and put your finger over the hole until the water has drained from the tank, or if there is someone with you get them to find the gate valve on the hot water cylinder or bung the feed from the cold tank with a parsnip (that's not a joke)

Reply to stud finder in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I purchased some tiles on the 13th August from Topps Tiles in London, I wont say which one. But...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB