Discuss sub-floor lip in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Guitardedleon

starting to get somewhere with this bathroom Ive had planned.

so far I've:

Replaced door and lining.
removed all the old tiles
removed the old suite
removed the lino & tore up all the floorboards
re-plumbed
new electrics for heated & lighted mirror and IP65 spots I've had installed.
strengthened the joists and installed noggins

Ive also ply lined the floor , 25mm wbp primed on back and sides with SBR.
screwed to joists at 150mm centers.

however,along the one long edge is a lip of between nothing up to 2mm at the worst point.

this is a join going at 90 degrees to joist direction.

I plan on using a Ditra matt under the tiles.

is this lip ok?

thought it would go when screwed down, but can not fix it.

thanks in advance

G

Guitardedleon

2mm? That's the worst bit? How flat is the rest of the floor?

2 or 3mm , yes mate.

rest of the floor is flat as was possible to get it.

room is only 8ft x 6ft so took two boards - has a total of 2 joins on the entire floor.
one long join (across the joists) and one parallel on the second board.

only the long joint is a problem, as mentioned has , at worst, a 3mm lip between boards.
hope this makes sense?

G

Guitardedleon

Just checked what was what exactly and the height difference between the two board edges is actually 4mm at the worst point and between 0-1mm most the way along
( highlighted inside of the green boxed area below )

Im due to be at the property at 3pm - so will take a couple photos of the actual floor too.
sub.jpg

G

Guitardedleon

You could attach some strip wood/battens around the perimeter.. Or silicone, if you were so inclined.. ;) as for prep, just follow the instructions on the bag, and make sure it's suitable for Ply.

just realised what the real issue is - the timber yard have given me two boards of slightly different thickness's, by a mill or two! (we have had nothing but trouble with their timber, since stopped using them! )

anyhow - some pics of floor:
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0209.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG

S

Stef

say for a pretty standard 300x300 ceramic floor tile - what trowel would you use (over ply+ditra)?
the ditra is only 50 quid so for the sake of say £70 and an hours work Id rather use it anyway.

regarding screws.. i used around 170 :lol:

I think? Ditra goes down with a 4/6mm trowel,
I would just overboard with 6mm Hardie on top of the ply.
If its only ceramic I wouldn't bother with Ditra but if your getting it at a decent price then go for it, it won't do any harm.

Reply to sub-floor lip in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi all Bathroom have floorbords ontop of joists decided going to strip them all and just...
Replies
Views
Does anyone have a DIY link or suggestions for removing just a single central tile from a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB