Discuss Sub-floor question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

crumble

Hello all,

First of all, I'm not a tiler but I have a few questions relating to flooring so I hope you don't mind me asking here. If you know of a better place for my question to be asked please do let me know.

So... the ground floor of my house has what I believe to be an ashphalt sub-floor and appears to be about 12mm thick. In the kitchen on top of the ashphalt are vinyl floor tiles, stuck directly on.
The ashphalt in the kitchen has begun to break up and crack, and has cracked the vinyl tiles with it. It’s only happening in the kitchen. The house was built in 1988 and had one lady owner until I bought it a couple of years ago. I’ve noticed this happening gradually since I moved in (I didn’t see it when buying at there was lino down) I would guess that the tiles are the original flooring, however I don’t know for sure.

Has anyone any ideas why this might be happening? Any ideas would be welcome.

What would be the best thing to do, remove and replace with what is there now or is there a better method available?

I know little about flooring other than that the ashphalt acts as a damp proof membrane... and that there’s concrete below it. I wouldn’t be doing any of the repair work btw...

Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome.. it could purely be down to being to thin and stress from the subfloor has made it crack and break up.. if a tap ( sound) test and see how hollow it is over the floor area and progress to other areas to the hollowness stops..

It will more than likely need to come up and redone or another subfloor put down... also check around the edges beneath the asphalt against the external/internal walls and look for a DPM membrane..

Reply to Sub-floor question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Sub-floor question
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.