Discuss Sub floor??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie1

Hi all! Help needed,

I went out at the weekend to see a kitchen floor for ror tiling. The subfloor has very slight bounce and is not straight, seems to be out as much as 10mm in places. The subfloor has been overboarded with 9mm plywood and then kitchen fitted on top.

Im trying to find the best way to tackle this. Idealy i would like to rip up the 9mm ply and refix with either 15mm ply or cement board however due to some of the curved design of the end pannels of the kitchen i think this could be really difficult cutting round it all to get it up!

Option 1 - over board the ply with another layer of 9 mm ply, glued and screwd then use flexi slc to level whole floor (Ithink height could be an issue)

Option 2 - Bite the bullet and rip up the origonal plywood.

Advice please! I have a feeling what you guys are gonna say! as im typing this it seems pretty obvious, what do you guys think?

Thanks

C

charlie1

If the bounce is in the subfloor that really needs fixing before you think about what to overboard it with. Could be a bit of an issue as the kitchen is already in.

Yeah Bri, Im sure overboarding with more ply would sort out the very slight bounce however I would rather just rip it all up but problem is that the kitchen has been fitted on top of it!! Im thinkinf very delicate work with fein multimaster unless anyone could advise better option??

I

Ian

Yeah Bri, Im sure overboarding with more ply would sort out the very slight bounce however I would rather just rip it all up but problem is that the kitchen has been fitted on top of it!! Im thinkinf very delicate work with fein multimaster unless anyone could advise better option??

I think you option sounds best, get the 9mm ply up and repace with 15mm screwed every 200mm and glue it if you can.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
if the kitchen is already fitted and the floor is bouncing it makes it a relatively large job to sort as the deflection will need to be removed from the joists first. I'd be tempted to walk if I were not capable of the relative complexities in this one.

Reply to Sub floor??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
I'm a total tiling beginner having my kitchen/diner redone by builders. The dining area has a...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Sub floor???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.