UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Substrate & adhesive help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Good evening

I have a tiler coming in on Thursday to tile a bathroom floor and wall area around the bath, which i have prepared and would appreciate some guidance on materials.

The floor is T&G on joists, overlayed with ply and then further overlayed with the new Marmox acoustic tile backer boards which are fixed using a special bead of flexible acoustic adhesive. I have then fitted electric UFH and covered with tile master flexible SLC.

The SLC went down a week ago and I have noticed that there are surface hairline cracks running across the room in quite a few areas. However the floor feels perfectly solid and is not breaking up in anyway. Is this normal?

The walls around the bath have been boarded with 12.5mm Marmox tile backer board and tanked with Ditra.

The floor tiles are Porcelonosa 44x66x10 and the wall tiles are 33x100x9 porcelain.

I will be providing materials for the tiler and was set on Dunlop fast set flex but have not seen many good reviews on the forum for Dunlop products so should i look at something else?

For the walls, i was going to provide the same SPF as the floors but my tiler said "buy 2 x tubs" which understandably has put doubt in my mind that he is not up to the job, as with these size tiles i'm sure it would never set!

The bath is a whirlpool and doubles up as a shower so i need to use a good quality grout to prevent water ingress. Do i need to use an epoxy type grout?

G

Gall.B

Really, Bal cheaper ????

Didnt see you edited your post Whitebeam, thought the really was for me :lol:

No problem using rapid as long as your addy is flexi suitable for porcelain & UFH, id plump for Weber SPF rapid.
Would want to get to the bottom of the cracks before I proceed, was the SLC mixed per instructions? Is the floor deflection free.

Shame no Ditra left, I like to stick a decoupler on top of the screed, just a personal prefrence.

Your tiler should be advising you in regards to adh .so far all i am hearing is alarm bells ,you might be better to have a good talk to him and make sure you get the answers you want

Thats why you employ a tiler to do the job

Dont take this the wrong way .just trying to help

The tiler has recommended i purchase "instarmac ultra proflex" but would like to see if its any good

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Substrate & adhesive help needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.