Discuss Substrate issue in old cottage. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Danwithaplan

Hello,

This is my first posting on a forum so firstly I hope I'm in the right one. This may be a bit of a building problem.

This is a bit long winded but here goes.

We have a kitchen project on the go in a 200 year old cottage.

The existing floor is flagstones on sand then earth.

I would normally dig out existing. Put down 100/150mm scalpings, Lay a dpm, insulation, then put down a concrete slab Maybe 150mm with a screed (75mm)

The issue I have is, there is a cellar under the kitchen floor (Accessed from a different part of the house). I really don't want us to go in there with a wacker over this potentially unstable cellar.

The second issue is depth. From my estimates I think I only have around 150/200mm to play with between finished floor and the top of the cellar ceiling.

I'm thinking reinforced liquid screed straight on stone dust and dpm but I'm open to any suggestion or inspiration.

Oh and just to make things easier the client wants a 600mm free length limestone (20mm).

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Substrate issue in old cottage. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi After some advice, I am a DIY tiler and going to be tiling our kitchen extension floor with...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm hoping you can offer some advice to help solve an age related problem. I have an...
Replies
Views
Hello - first post please be gentle. I am rennovating a typical 1930s semi. I am doing some...
Replies
Views
Hi, first post here. I've been lurking this forum for advice for a while, thank you all who...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB