UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss substrate question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

got a 45 sqm floor to lay on a 25mm modified sand and cement bed with chicken wire mesh reinforcing, 900x450 porcelain drop lay method ,subtrate is a fibre screed 40mm thick over ufh, the substrate is showing cracking which i was going to repair with the epoxy resin and steel pins repair method, the floor is on block and beam construction over a basement with insulation then ufh then the screed but it is showing signs of movement ,as it is unbonded do i decoulple the floor using a cleavage membrane or do i bond it to the substrate in hope it will tie the floor togethr with the slurry and chicken wire and give it the required 60mm over the ufh ? any advice appreciated

C

Colour Republic

the floor is on block and beam construction

I'm really not keen on this type of construction, I don't know why considering that a lot of continental buildings use this method and they tile floors a hell of a lot more than us. I just think there is too much room for movement. Laterally. So a cleavage membrane would be essential IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

I'm with jay on that one, a decoupling membrane to keep it seperate from substrate.

I would have thought the fibre screed would have been 60mm at least
unfortunately its not, there was 4 tons of building materials stored on the screed which has assisted in creating the cracks, now you can feel the movement when walking across the floor so i am in 2 minds whether to tile it or not ,repairing the cracks will strengthen the floor a bit but will it be enough to take the weight of the new flooring ?

C

Colour Republic

Actually this thread could answer a question that has been going round my head for some time...

Do buildings expand and contract at the same rate between 0-20 degrees as 20-40 degrees and how much does humidity (water content) play a part in this?

Specifically concrete structures (but timber and brick construction would be handy to know)

So for example, if you draw a graph would it be a straight line or a curve?

This might explain to me why certain methods work on the continent and not in the UK.

I might have to wait for the human wikipedia that is Ajax to give me a full explanation on this one!

R

Rob Z

Hi Gary, I don't know all of the terminology that you and the rest of the guys have used in this thread, but one comment I have is that the conventional wisdom here in the US and Canada (the "standards" as they are being determined by the Tile Council of North America)is that a wire-reinforced unbonded mud bed should be on the order of 2" thick (50 mm). They tell us if we are doing a mud bed that is only an inch thick then we should bond it (to masonry substrates) or use metal lath (fastened to wood substrates) that is placed on the bottom of the mud bed.

S

Spud

Hi Gary, I don't know all of the terminology that you and the rest of the guys have used in this thread, but one comment I have is that the conventional wisdom here in the US and Canada (the "standards" as they are being determined by the Tile Council of North America)is that a wire-reinforced unbonded mud bed should be on the order of 2" thick (50 mm). They tell us if we are doing a mud bed that is only an inch thick then we should bond it (to masonry substrates) or use metal lath (fastened to wood substrates) that is placed on the bottom of the mud bed.
thanks rob thats kind of confirmed what i was going to do as the bed thickness was thin ,I had another look at it today and I am now more confident than previously that repairing and bonding will work :thumbsup:

S

Spud

So what is that room for? Front room?
What mix is the mortar?
How far is the ufh under the tile?
Is that your bum in the picture?
If so, would you like me to get you some knee pads for Christmas
and lastly... Am i asking too many questions?
entrance lobby, 7:2 polymer modifed,between 70-80mm ,no and I have knee pad pockets in my trousers, and no you can never ask too many questions :thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

This room still confuses me, if it's an entrance hall, where is the entrance? is it the door with the fire closer on it? or have we just not seen the main door yet? For an entrance hall that size the door doesn't look grand enough.

Sadly I don't think the pictures do the floor the justice is deserves I know in the flesh and an overall scale would look great. Stop being a tiler, get off your knees, and show us the job in it's full glory:thumbsup:

Reply to substrate question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, after some advice way in advance. We are currently extending arvoss Backnof our house...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All I have been to see a job last week,90m2 ground floor kitchen/conservatory. It will...
Replies
Views
On one
O
D
I've been quoted for 2 different methods of fitting an UFH system by the electrician. Both will...
Replies
Views
doddsie
D
S
Hi All, I have some 600x600mm Marble tiles to lay over an underfloor heating system and would...
Replies
Views
swampie
S
M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.