Guest viewing is limited

Discuss suitable adhesive, grout and sealer for marble tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

charlie101

Hi all

I have a couple of questions on adhesive, grout and sealer for marble tiles. I'd be grateful for any advise you can give.

I'm having my bathroom tiled with 300mmx300mm10mm bianco carrara tiles approx 30 mitres.
The wall tiles will be polished, the floor tiles will be honed and there is a slab cut sink/vanity top which will also be polished.

ADHESIVE QUESTION

1) Which adhesive would you recommend for the wall tiles?

BONDING SURFACES:
Most of the walls are covered with Knauf cement boards but one wall is brick, rendered with cement.
The bathroom contains a shower which will be lined with wetdecs Dura wp tanking membrane and then fully tiled.

GROUT QUESTION

2) Whch grout would you recommend for the wall and floor tiles?

SEALER QUESTION

3a) Which sealer would you recommend for the wall tiles, floor tiles and sink/vanity top?

3b) When to apply sealer
The company providing the marble say that most marble fixers like to fix the marble and then seal it because it's easier to do it that way. However, they recommend sealing the marble before fixing.
Specifically in relation to the tiles they recommend sealing the front and all edges before fixing and then leaving the surface ungrouted for a period ( I think they said 1 week) to allow the adhevsive to give up its moisture through the joints instead of the (now sealed) tile surface.

What are your opinions on this?

4a) How many coats of sealer would you apply or is there some way of telling when it's had enough?
Note: I've read Dave's posting on 'Porosity' (LTP) which seems a very sensibly test to carry out. However I'm not sure how it might apply if sealing at the pre-fixing stage?

4b) If the tiles are to be sealed before fixing is this something I could do myself or are there issues with applying the sealer.

Many Thanks

Charlie101

D

DHTiling

Hi charlie.. i will answer below..

Hi all

I have a couple of questions on adhesive, grout and sealer for marble tiles. I'd be grateful for any advise you can give.

I'm having my bathroom tiled with 300mmx300mm10mm bianco carrara tiles approx 30 mitres.
The wall tiles will be polished, the floor tiles will be honed and there is a slab cut sink/vanity top which will also be polished.

ADHESIVE QUESTION

1) Which adhesive would you recommend for the wall tiles?

Kera quick white

BONDING SURFACES:
Most of the walls are covered with Knauf cement boards but one wall is brick, rendered with cement.
The bathroom contains a shower which will be lined with wetdecs Dura wp tanking membrane and then fully tiled.

Surfaces are great.

GROUT QUESTION

2) Whch grout would you recommend for the wall and floor tiles?

Mapei ultra colour great for stone as it is fast setting to avoid picture framing affect.

SEALER QUESTION

3a) Which sealer would you recommend for the wall tiles, floor tiles and sink/vanity top?

Aqua mix Ultra-solv.

3b) When to apply sealer
The company providing the marble say that most marble fixers like to fix the marble and then seal it because it's easier to do it that way. However, they recommend sealing the marble before fixing.
Specifically in relation to the tiles they recommend sealing the front and all edges before fixing and then leaving the surface ungrouted for a period ( I think they said 1 week) to allow the adhevsive to give up its moisture through the joints instead of the (now sealed) tile surface.

What are your opinions on this?

They are talking silly.. to leave it that long for moisture to escape then they are talking dispersion adhesive and this is no good for stone work, needs to be a cement based adhesive like mentioned above and this dries by hydration( chemical reaction).

4a) How many coats of sealer would you apply or is there some way of telling when it's had enough?
Note: I've read Dave's posting on 'Porosity' (LTP) which seems a very sensibly test to carry out. However I'm not sure how it might apply if sealing at the pre-fixing stage?

1 coat before grouting and 1 coat after, then do a water porosity test to determine if it needs another but with Aqua mix sealer i very much doubt it.

4b) If the tiles are to be sealed before fixing is this something I could do myself or are there issues with applying the sealer.

You can fix the tiles and seal them on the walls..

Many Thanks

Charlie101

Reply to suitable adhesive, grout and sealer for marble tiles. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
suitable adhesive, grout and sealer for marble tiles.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.