Discuss Supporting chipboard flooring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Speedoman

Hi

I am replacing some 18mm chipboard flooring in the bathroom.

I will be fitting 6mm cement board and ceramic tiles over the new chipboard flooring.

In the picture of the bathroom below, on the left hand side you can see the chipboard flooring for the bedroom.

The chipboard flooring you see on the right hand side in the picture is just there temporally so I can walk in the bathroom.

The chipboard flooring will be fitted horizontally, just how the old chipboard flooring was.

I need to support the edges of the new chipboard flooring and old chipboard flooring and I have bedrooms on both sides of the bathroom.

In the bathroom, it is difficult to fix noggins between two joists because one of the joists would be under one of the bedrooms and the joists under the bedrooms are difficult to fit noggins to.

I want to ask people please what they think of these suggestions below and if there was any better way of supporting the new and old chipboard floorings together.

To fit blocks of wood 45mm x 95mm length ways so 47.5mm will be under the new chipboard flooring and 47.5mm will be under the old chipboard flooring.

I could use 60mm long screws to go through the chipboard flooring and block of wood.

I could also fit the blocks of wood width ways. However in this case there would be more wood under the new chipboard flooring then under the old chipboard flooring because I have a limited area on the old chipboard flooring to put screws in.

When fitting the blocks of wood width ways, I could join the blocks of wood to the joists and then screw 100mm long screws from the joists to the blocks of wood.

The blocks of wood I could use will be C16 kiln dried sawn treated regularised.

Also as I am using screws, would it be necessary to use gripfill for joining all the surfaces together.

How does this all sound?

Many thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• joists.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 58
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Supporting chipboard flooring in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB