Discuss Suzannah in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Suzannah

Hi All, I know nothing about tiles so I am looking for advice, I recently lifted up a carpet, 2 sets of linoleum, and cork tiles in my living room and very surprisingly found a beautiful floor of huge scottish slate tiles, they must have been put in my very old farmhouse in 1800's, I have only recently moved in, however a friend who said he could grout and seal them for me told me to get HG cement grout and film remover to clean up the edges, I tested this on the slate in one corner, left it for 15mins and then washed and scrubbed it and it worked so I went on to do rest of floor, washed and cleaned it, unfortunately this morning i got a shock when I came downstairs to see it has discoloured the slate a cloudy white colour, is the slate ruined or is there anything I can do? Ie get a disc for my grinder and try to polish floor?If anyone can help me I would be very grateful for advice thanks Suzannah

U

user123

Click on 'post reply' rather than use the quick reply, and then on the attachment paper clip, which opens a drop down menu where you can browse for your pics on the pc. don't make them too large... also, wipe over the white with some toilet paper and see if anything comes off on it.... I have had an experience like this in the past and it might be the same...

PS, there is no apostrophy in photos... :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Suzannah

I tried with toilet roll nothing came off

Attachments

• 100_2768.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_2765.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_2762.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2764.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 54
U

user123

Ouch!!! How annoying is that... hmmm... not the same as my problem was (mine had to do with old cork adhesive on slate...but let's use some logic... the grout cleaner is acidic, let's try to balance that with an alkaline solution and see what happens... dissolve just a bit of salt in a spoon full of water and wipe this on a small section of the white... wait a few minutes, rinse of with boiled water (just to keep the experiment pure :) and see if it has solved this?

Reply to Suzannah in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
Hi ppl Need advice regarding sealing kitchen tiles. I believe I have lappato tile laid on my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Suzannah
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.