Discuss Suzannah in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I agree with MG that it is probably acid burn. The HG stuff is made with Phosphoric acid which is pretty strong. It looks to me like you have either taken off a "film" of something that was on the tiles or you have taken off the original dressed finish as the areas that are grey look like natural blue slate colour (which is a light grey).

Whilst I sort of agree with the salt theory I think a simple strearate based cleaner and a good old fashioned scrubbing brush might also do the tirck (i.e. soap and hot water).

Have you cleansed the whole slate or just the edges? Did you dilute the cleaner.

I did this with an old quarry tiled floor may years ago and a similar thing happened i.e.the edges stayed white and discoloured. I used to work in the food industry where the cleaning guys used mechanical scrubbers (like the old fashioned school caretaker) which I ended up using and after a couple of passes and lots of rinsing it came up a treat.

Remember it's an old floor so it is worth working on.

Reply to Suzannah in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
Hi ppl Need advice regarding sealing kitchen tiles. I believe I have lappato tile laid on my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Suzannah
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.