Discuss Suzannah in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
if Suzannah's flags are slate ie metamorphic then the acid won't etch them, but if they're limestone ie carboniferous, acid will dissolve them

slate is highly resistant to etching from weak acids such as citric and acetic but will still be etched by stronger acids like hydrochloric, sulphamic and phosphoric particularly at high concentrations.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Here is a pdf file from the British Geological Survey regarding quarrying in that area. Limestone is definitely a possibility.

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/downloads/dire... Resource map for Clackmannanshire, Fife an's

Be wary of this angle. Although it is worthy of consideration the logic behind the use of local materials in local construction can be very counter intuitive. The local stone bit could be a big red herring.

My brother in laws cottage is a classic but by no means isolated example. He has a really old flagstone floor (approx 400years) in Rutland. The stone for this is deffinitely not local stone. The obvious sources would be Collyweston, Barnack or Carlby all of which were quarrying around 400 years ago when the cottage was built. The flags are of stone more typical of the Cotswolds.

Welsh slate was being used as early as the 11th century and was being exported in the 1500's to lots of places in the UK including Norfolk, Scotland and I beleive Ireland as well.

In the late 18th and Early 19th century's it was exported all over the World. I would guess in that period it was probably the foremost export product of Wales. In 1850 there were probably more square meters of Welsh blue slate covering the UK than any other building material cos it was used for millions of rooves.

M

mikethetile

lets not get bogged down with this, its most likely that a local stone gets used for the simple fact that theres no expense involved in transporting material around the country, sometimes local builders will pay out to transport stone as they want something different

Doug has raised a valid point about the difference between slate and limestone and really that needs to established before reccomending a suitable cleaner

Dave has also made a valid point that it could be residue and if so will scrub off

untill we know more we cant really say

S

Suzannah

Hi All, Here are photos from this evening, I am exhausted, what do you all think? I have scrubbed all day

Attachments

• 100_2774.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_2773.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_2772.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 37

Reply to Suzannah in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
Hi ppl Need advice regarding sealing kitchen tiles. I believe I have lappato tile laid on my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Suzannah
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.