UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Take your eye of the ball... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

There comes a time, when you have to hold your hands up for god almighty shockingly bad workmanship, which has just happened to me. Because of a recent avalanche of contracts that all seemed to kick of at the same time, I was short of a good stone man, for a nice contract. One of my lads said ohh a friend of a friend is looking for work...and handed over the number. So we rang him and met him on site, gave him the drawings, half bond 20mm stone floor, piecing new stone in. It should not have been difficult to this guy who has been (reportedly) doing it for 15 years.

I have committed the worst mistake, I didn't go in and check his work for 4 days. I was working 18 hours a day running around. And my contracts director was working the night shift. So I popped in on my way home from another job. I was met with what can only be described as a ski slope effect on the floor. There was so much lippage Dan could have skied down them. The joints..if you can call them that were running between 3-8mm. For once in my life I was speechless, when I eventually found the 'stone man' who I think was hiding, I said I need a word with you now. He really believed the stone was 'satisfactory' and the lips could be spun out. Another one sacked on the spot, and an expensive lesson learnt.

Don't ever take your eye of the ball, or its game over.

Lynn

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
No way I hope he was slow too so the 4 days of tiles tiled don't cost tooooo much.

Not sure I want to ski again I think I lost the bottle when I broke my ankle and realised I'm getting old and can't take it anymore. :lol:

I want to ask a question about the costs side of things in situations like this but don't want to chat about said situation so I'll wait and see if the answer just ends up being written later in the thread I think lol - just rewrote a paragraph about 4 times and think if you need write it that many times, it's only worth deleting. lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd be scared of doing a stone job myself now to be honest and I've done a few. Just not for years.

The new tiles and new problems that come with them scare me enough alone. And then to think I could risk actually screwing it all up with lippage and the likes too would just make me worry about the costs involved if I did screw it up.

I tell you what though, I'd like to think if I did screw it up enough to get sacked that I'd try my best to pay for it and not expect any wage (perhaps a given).

P

Pebbs

Yep Ray your right, I would normally put them straight in with the gang, but couldn't do that, due to being booked out solid. Lots of lessons to be learnt from this one.

Upwards and onwards...he rang me this morning for his wages. I've got to give him the chance to correct this, but the truth is the stone had to be slaughtered, so far beyond being put right. Im at a bit of a loss what to do now.

Lynn

G

garybadger

I had one, where i was sub contracting the guy. Had him in to do a 15m2 kitchen floor. Showed him how to set it out, and off I went to my next job. Came back the next day after getting a call from the site agent.
For some reason the whole floor was on a twist and running about 30-40mm off the square. Frightening.
He had just went with the door frame and not squared anything off. Had to rip up the whole floor, pay for new tiles and then re-tile it. When it came to him getting paid, he asked for his wages but I told him how much it had cost me, and it would get left at that.
Never gave him another drop off work and now he's toiling for work.

P

Pebbs

Few more details may be able to help you out have dealt with lippage up to 9mm. Got any pics?

Thanks Tony, but I would be ashamed to post any photos of the offending stone. I personally took the sledgehammer to the first piece (and then had to go for a lie down..its a mans world and I chipped my nail!) :lol:

Plus it was pietra serena....to my mind one of the worst stones to work with for any remedials. Hate the stone, hated the floor.

Lynn

P

Pebbs

I'm gutted for you Lynne,
And staggered at the cheek of him to ask for wages:yikes:

Aye Tommy, and I did the decent thing and paid him half what he was owed, I just said to him, you should have held your hands up if you couldnt cope with it...then I got the usual excuses...Do me a favour, admit you were punching above your weight, and then we sort it out. Still should have checked and flagged it up. I'll learn...someday.

Lynn

P

Pebbs

I have Dan they are known as the Mitchell brothers for their remarkable similarities in looks, hard drinking, womanising and generally indulging in a tear up now and again. However on this occasion they were both tucked up in bed during the day to get their beauty sleep, before cracking on with the night shifts.

I will be hiding all sharp objects tomorrow when I tell them I half paid the stone numpty.

Lynn

Lynn I will be moving to Woodford Green very soon from the north east where I have ran my buisness, Alnwick Ceramics.com - Home, for the past 4 years.

I am OCD with my tiling and I have a good name. Any work you could pass towards me would be greatly appreciated, leaving you with no worry as to the finished result.

Excuse the pooey website, I did it myself !

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Take your eye of the ball... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
Only just come across this. I assume it's new? When it comes to paint on waterproofers I went...
Replies
Views
K
Hello, I have just grouted my new tiles and after 3 days it has started to go yellow in...
Replies
Views
Be the Best with BAL! The importance of correct training should never be underestimated. As the...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
I may be a bit late on the boat here. But i went in to my local Topps today and they were...
Replies
Views
I may be a bit late on the boat here. But i went in to my local Topps today and they were...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.