Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Tanking a shower with wall recess in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DazJWood

All,

I have used Hardibacker boards for my shower area (and around the bath). I have built in a recess in one of the stud walls so I can store shower gel and the like. (I have also done the same on one of the walls above my bath).

I am now looking at tanking solutions. I bought the Homelux membrane some time ago but am now wondering whether a paintable solution such as the BAL WP1 or the Dunlop Waterproof kit may be a better option. I am concerned that fixing the Homelux in around the recess may be problematic and not provide robust waterproofing (I would have a fair amount of overlapping around all the corners).

With the paintable solution there would be just the application of the joint tape and then a coat over. I am thinking this would be a lot easier plus should be more robust.

Has anyone any advice or has anyone tanked over recesses and hit any problems?

Thanks,

Daz

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Hi Daz,

Firstly I would, ensure all the Hardi Backer board 3mm joints are siliconed, then for quickness, you could use the Wedi board jointing tape which is set into the wet tile adhesive as you tile up to the wall, then you can fix your tiles over the top of the tape, just make sure you have no voids under the tape by pressing it well into the adhesive. Quick and easy and you do the joints as you go along. :thumbsup:

D

DazJWood

Hi Daz,

Firstly I would, ensure all the Hardi Backer board 3mm joints are siliconed, then for quickness, you could use the Wedi board jointing tape which is set into the wet tile adhesive as you tile up to the wall, then you can fix your tiles over the top of the tape, just make sure you have no voids under the tape by pressing it well into the adhesive. Quick and easy and you do the joints as you go along. :thumbsup:

Erm thanks but I'm not sure you've read the question. I'm was asking about the best method to tank the recess. Paintable solution or membrane.

Incidentally, I may be wrong but I'm not convinced using silicon in the joints of the board is ideal. Once filled and then smoothed over will leave areas where tile adhesive cannot adhere to.

Thanks nevertheless!

Has anyone else got any advice or experience with tanking recesses?

Thanks,

Daz

Reply to Tanking a shower with wall recess in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tanking a shower with wall recess
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.