Discuss Tanking ontop of MR Board & Membranes? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Leic
Hi experts,

I'm new to this forum and quite the novice on the diy front so please bear with me if I don't quite know all the 'techy' talk...

Basically, I'm getting a new extension done for a small wetroom...

The builder will be putting a screed on the concrete floor and using moisture resistant wall board... But I've got a couple of questions to help me understand what I need to buy:

1) I see on many websites (eg. phgwetrooms.co.uk) that they sell membranes which I presume go on both the floor and wall.. Question is, as a 'new build' extension do I need such a product? - Or would just tanking the walls and floor suffice?

2) If tanking alone is fine, the tile centre recommended I get the following products:
  • BAL WP1 Tanking Coating
  • BAL WP1 Matting

Would this suit my requirement do you think?

I did a quick internet search and it seems BAL also do a Waterproofing kit.. I'm kind of unsure whether just to go out and this.
In any case, I will be following some of the other posts of tanking 2m high within the shower and 1.2m outside

3) Are BAL a reputable company for this type of stuff? As opposed to say Mapei or Orbry?

Apologies if it seems I've rambled on a bit, just very confused as to what I materials I need to get

Would appreciate any advice you guys can provide on the best approach to take with this.

Cheers,

DS.

J

Jeff the tiler

My concern is the builder saying moisture resistant boards. Hopefully he means a reputable tilebacker board like hardi backer or Marmox etc, not moisture resistant plasterboard.

I would go with DHT on this much prefer to use a membrane where possible.

Bal and Mapei are both good companies and their waterproofing kits are fine but you need to read the instructions carefully to make sure you apply everything correctly.

W

White Room

My concern is the builder saying moisture resistant boards. Hopefully he means a reputable tilebacker board like hardi backer or Marmox etc, not moisture resistant plasterboard.

I would go with DHT on this much prefer to use a membrane where possible.

Bal and Mapei are both good companies and their waterproofing kits are fine but you need to read the instructions carefully to make sure you apply everything correctly.

I'm sure thats what he means Jeff....

Leic
Excellent... Thanks for the response chaps.

Will double check with the builder about the type of wall board he's using and get him to get this hardi backer stuff...

Btw.. What is DHT?

So with membranes do you still apply a tanking coat on top of it? - Or do you just tile straight over it?

Also, what are peoples opinions of showerlays? - Are they any good ontop of a screed floor? I ask since as it stands I'm not having a former put in because it's a brand new floor.

With the membranes is there a general rule of thumb in terms of leaving the screed to dry out before laying it? - I know when I read the instructions for the BAL liquid tanking kit is said to leave around 3 weeks!

Thanks for the advice.

DS

Leic
So just a couple of other questions...

Would I be right in thinking this is the general process on the wall would be:

1) Tilebacker board
2) Membrane up to 2metres high
3) Tanking upto 2metres high
4) Tape the joints
5) Tiles

The floor:

1) Showerlay sits on top of the screed floor with some form of adhesive??
2) membrane the floor and up and around the waste
3) Tank the floor
4) Tape the joints
5) Tiles

Thanks,

DS

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tanking ontop of MR Board & Membranes? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Wetroom leaked. Former and first course of wall tiles removed. WBP ply on joists (shower tray...
Replies
Views
Trying to Get bathroom re tiled, had conflicting advice from a few tilers, I’m a total novice...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB