UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Telephone preferance service Does it really work? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Raja

hello i briefly touched on it the other nite in the chatroom but wud be grateful if i could have a broader response into tackling cold callers. to my disbelief found out that yellow pages had sold our company details to hundreds of cold callers hence the several calls recieved every day for the past year when i rang my adviser at yell she said yes that was true but put me onto the telephone preferance service where i registered both business numbers suposed to be illegal once registered to stop cold callers will see wot effect it has after it is activated in 28 days time. it is an all too often sad situation many tradesmen find them selves in we are all trying our hardest to offer a service and some find it harder than most to survive when u have mortgages to pay and all other lifes necessaties without having nucense calls day after day

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Yellow pages will sell your details. And so do many other similar business directories.

TPS should work on your homephone / landline but I'm not to sure if 'business' phonelines can be protected by the (what I think is a Government concern) service. Though I'm guessing most tilers don't have units with BT Business phonelines.

Every 30 days any company making outgoing calls from databases have to pay to get their databases 'cleaned' of those that are registered with the TPS, FPS and MPS.

If they don't they can get fined. So give it a couple of weeks after registering and then start answering those calls with a sharp "excuse me, what company are your from again? I'm registered with the TPS!" and they soon hang up or apologise. Though some will still call you.

D

Deleted member 9966

Sorry to drag this one out of the archives, but can I tell my landline provider (BT) to bog off with their marketing calls if I'm registered with TPS?

Every time BT ring trying to flog me an enhance broadband package or a credit card, I ask to be removed from their call lists and they claim they do it. But each time they ring they ask for Miss ******** and not Mrs ***** so I know they're working from old data there. (and I know my rights re' DPA so they'll get a rocket about that too)

Just wondered... any thoughts?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd recommend registering your old details with TPS and then leavingit a few weeks. If they then call, tell them that you're registered with TPS and that you're reporting them as soon as they hang up. Then, fill in the online form, takes a minute and nothing longer, and then leave it to TPS to investigate. If they keep calling you then, keep reporting them to TPS and after a couple of times (usually after the first time to be honest) they'll quit it, as they'll get a fine each time, and they're not profiting from you if you're costing them fines every time they call you so they will want to remove you from their database.

BT do carry out lots of dodgy phone scams believe it or not. The "customer street" company that sold out to BT and is now called "BT Customer Street" was worth more than a few million when they sold out and all customers were gained via outbound cold calls. Very very dodgy tactics and it appears BT don't mind that.

So they do need to get a bunch of savvy customers to report them as many times as they can and they could even change the way they go about considering new companies to buy.

I've never liked BT though have no choice where I live but to use them for their broadband, though it's crap, and has never got to the speed I pay for, ever.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Telephone preferance service Does it really work? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Last week I received an e-mail from what I thought was a customer wanted their kitchen tiled,I...
Replies
Views
I need a tiler to help finish a commercial job in Colchester, due to timescales slipping and new...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D
P
it is in a place called Meopham, Gravesend............its miles away..........1.5 hours in the...
Replies
Views
D
Drilling a hole into a Belle bath. Fitting Victorian taps. Drill steel baths. Project fitting...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
J
IF YOUVE HAD A BAD CLIENT RECENTLY READ ABOUT THIS ONE . MAY MAKEYOU FEEL BETTER THEJOB FROM...
Replies
Views
The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.