Discuss Terracotta advice please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paulm

Hi all,
Got 14 sqm of spanish terracotta 300x300, 15mm thick to lay,can anyone advise on a suitable adhesive and grout at a resonable price.
Am laying onto a concrete slab,was going to use 10mm notched trowl and also butter the back of the tile,before treating with boiled linseed oil,grouing with a wide gap grout (sandstone).
Before sealing with lithofin multi seal.
Any advice would be most welcome.

F

Floor_Restorer

I like to use the Lithofin Classic Primer and then the Classic Wax. Simple process as long as the Terracotta is really clean and dry. Apply the Classic Primer, and then 20 minutes after it has dried apply the wax. If you want a really deep colour apply a couple of primer coats and a few wax coats. Buff over using a rotary floor buffer to get a good finish. If you don't have a buffer use hand brushes and finish with a lambswool bonnet on a drill or similar device.

Always test in on a sample or behind a door first. Don't have a go in the middle of the room first!

Don't mix oil based sealants (linseed oil/white spirit/real turpentine and waxes) with water based ones (Multiseal, LTP Ironwax, Fila Satin) as they won't bond with one another.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S If using Linseed or Classic Primer ALWAYS BURN YOUR RAGS SOON AFTER as they can self ignite over time. We have a metal bucket for this reason. Don't be tempted to 'do it tomorrow'!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paulm

Thanks for that,like the idea of the classic finish but is it going to be alot more work in the long run upkeep wise compared to the multiseal.
Going down in a conservatory so not subject to too much foot traffic.
Also while i can pick your brains any thoughts on tiling on a three month old 100mm thick
concrete slab,and what adhesive you would go for.
As for the oil on the rags,had one burst into flames when i was oiling my worktops,so that is very sound advice.

Reply to Terracotta advice please. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

After some advice please..... We have approx. 50sq m of Dijon limestone 600 x 90 x15mm and also...
Replies
Views
I am planning to lay 600mm x 600mm x 20mm slate on to an anhydrite screed. It is a very thick...
Replies
Views
Hi I've had a leak from the shower to the room below. I thought it was likely the silicone seal...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I have just had 40m3 of travartine tiles laid in opus pattern in my kitchen. The tiler was...
Replies
Views
Kevbos
K
R
Encaustic reclaimed tile for splash back. Would like advice please. I take it they need sealing...
Replies
Views
richie b
R

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Terracotta advice please.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.