Discuss Terracotta Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

zaw.tiles

Right ive got a job to lay 8m2 of spanish terracotta tiles on a balcony. I need some help as this is my first terracotta job and want all my jobs to lok the best as possible as i take pride in my tiling. I have a few questions:

1) What do i use to cut? wet or dry cut? (i was thinking wet cut diamond blade)
2) Do i need to soak each tile in water first? if so how long and how to dry as theres 80 odd.
3) I have bought a sealer (impregnator) called "seal and finish low sheen" when do i put the application on? (I thought one before laying and another once laid before grout?)
4) How much would you chage to lay 8m2 of terracotta? I live in london and originally charged £*** based on ceramics.

Cheers guys hope to here from you soon

Oh yea and any other advice on terracotta tiles would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi mate, and:welcome: Teraccotta does not need soaking in water, that was the old method for ceramics, (fixed in sand and cement). There are impregnating sealers on the market now, but the traditional method was, before fixing apply double boiled linseed oil, turps, linseed oil turps, until you fill up each tile. Cutting can be done on a manual cutter or wet cutter.

Fixing method's vary, depending on substrate. More info would help, on your particular job:thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

it is outside on a balcony so yes it would be exposed to adverse weather conditions but i will treat the tiles. Do you know when i should impregnate them?

All terracotta should be sealed before you touch the face of the tile as even dirty/oily hands can mark them!
Reading from your other thread - and :welcome: - you may find this particular job a balcony too far for 6months experience and a 2 week course.

I personally would not recommend this type of material for use in any freeze/thaw situation and would try and advise the customer towards a high fired frost proof unglazed tile with a similar appearance to Terracotta.

You have of course entered the world of Tilers Forum and you will receive all the help and knowledge available - so keep asking and keep enjoying.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Terracotta Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Terracotta Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.