Discuss thanks but no thanks! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

went to look at a job yesterday after I got back from my hols, a 35m2 opus travertine in a lovely country house (actually I lived there for 3 years many years ago as it belonged to ex girlfriends parents), anyway kitchen had been ripped out and all the walls studded and the floor had been screeded, albeit it looked as though it had been screeded with the back of a shovel.
Customer said they were having ufh so I said no problem as the slc could also help to fill and level the floor, he seemed fine with this. Then I mentioned de-coupling and the need for it, to which he replied that the other 2 guys and the builder hadn't mentioned anything about it having to be used but he would bow to my judgement if needed.
Now to the :yikes:....I asked what depth the screed was and what was underneath it.....his reply was that it's soil underneath with no dpm but the screed must be at least 2 inches thick!!!!,
I thanked him very much for considering me, but that I wouldn't be tendering my services.

M

Mike

I remember the original flags in the kitchen so I asked what they did with them, they said that they just took them up and screeded over the soil, that's what made me ask if they'd dug further down and put in a dpm, to which they replied that they hadn't done either.
why did they not dig down and lay hardcore, kingspan and dpm and have a proper floor? i bet that screed will sound hollow when knocked :mad2:

D

doug boardley

You sure the customer isn't getting their measurements confused??? I can't believe anybody would lay a 50mm subfloor.Think you'll find the floor is much deeper than the customer is saying... I hope!
I checked it Rob by the cellar steps, the flags used to overhang the top riser which had been removed and a shutter put there. The shutter had been removed after and you could see that the depth was probs only about 35-40mm there:thumbsdown:

D

doug boardley

just been on the phone to them, she was actually quite snotty with me, I tried explaining the problems to her and she was very dismissive about it all, saying that "we're not bloody builders how the hell are we supposed to know?" I told her that the builders/project managers should have known it was inadequate and then she said that the other guy would have to tile it then as he said it would be fine. I wished her good luck and hung up.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I wouldn't have even called Doug. (Perhaps I'm too harsh?)

Knowing the fact it's a job you're not getting the moment you found out you're tiling soil with some broken up pieces of slab on top (basically it's what it'll be in a few weeks/months) I'd have just let them get on with it.

You're too polite mate. lol You can't help 'em all though!

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Good call Doug, not wanting to hijack your thread but this seems to be a good place to pick your brains.
Just been to look at a job. 16m2 (probably vileroy+bosche large format porcs) in a hallway running through into a
downstairs loo. This will all have to meet up flush with the kitchen floor (70m2 of solid oak!)
Minton tiles on the hallway at the moment that is to be removed.

His builders are planning:
Sub floor to be excavated.
dpm and concrete slab poured.
100mm thick kingspan
Wet UFH with 15mm pipe from UK underfloor
25mm screed

Then me to come in and tile.
Could you guys give me your opinions on this prep, suitability, advice or recommendations?

D

doug boardley

Dan;530320[I said:
]I wouldn't have even called Doug.[/I] (Perhaps I'm too harsh?)

Knowing the fact it's a job you're not getting the moment you found out you're tiling soil with some broken up pieces of slab on top (basically it's what it'll be in a few weeks/months) I'd have just let them get on with it.

You're too polite mate. lol You can't help 'em all though!
..but I'd hate to see them get a bodge job done Dan, especially as I've got an attachment to the house. I think I'll send them an email and ask them too really look into the subject of the screed and how it will fail if they proceed with tiling on it.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to thanks but no thanks! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Dear Tilers, my husband has done a lot of tiling, but would really like your advice please. He...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
thanks but no thanks!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.