UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss The beginning of time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I went to do a small job for a customer of mine yesterday that I did a bathroom for 3 years ago, while I was there I had to use the bathroom (as you do!) so had a little look round at the work I'd done to see how it was looking, It was all still very clean and looking well but, there were the odd little things such as rake cuts and trim mitres that I thought could have been done better (they were still of a good standard). I'd only been tiling full time for about 24 months when I did this job and I can remember thinking at the time 'this is spot on', It's amazing how my eye for detail has changed as the years have passed and things that I once thought were brilliant are now what I would consider to be very average, has anyone else gone back to a job from their early days and thought, 'I could do that to a much higher standard now'?

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Me and my girlfriend still own and rent out a flat that I did some tiling in many years ago. I'd been tiling for about 12 months when I fully tiled the bathroom. Similar story really, I thought it looked amazing but every now and then when there is a change of tenants and we go back in I notice something else that could have been done better! It's not a bad job and I'm still pleased with it but there is the odd lip that I'd never settle for now!!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Great post Bri, I went to see a job about 10 years ago, the job was a bathroom allready tiled 30 years ago. The customer wanted a price to strip the existing tiles, prep and re-tile, as I was measuring up I was looking at the old tiling (as we do) trying to find fault, (as we do) .

I could not find a thing wrong, ( to my surprise) the setting out was bang on etc. the job looked a little bit old fashioned, but still looked well.

This will sound very egotistical but it turns out I tiled this bathroom when it was built. A bit like TJ's post. spooky but I had no recollection of this job.

On another point,some people I served my time with, and thought were the best tilers ever. Later on,some of these tilers came to work for me.

I then found myself picking fault with their work. I hope this dosn't come across wrong, as it is all very true. I still try to improve, we are all only as good as our last job.

Thanks Bri for reminding me.

Regards, Phil.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to The beginning of time in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi. I've just used Mapei Ultimate Leveller 1210 to cover a very irregular concrete floor in our...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
The beginning of time
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.