Guest viewing is limited

Discuss The perils of ready mixed adhesive. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

united

OK, I'll start :thumbsup:

Ready mixed adhesive needs to disperse the water in the adhesive to dry (Hence why it's called dispersion adhesive). It needs the air to get to it, so on larger tiles, it will not dry. A general rule of thumb is ready mixed adhesive should not be used on tiles bigger than 300x300mm (Or equivalent mm2).

Edit: Dammit United, you are too quick for me :lol:

you explained it better Matt :thumbsup:

C

CDS

Sealing also stops staining from grout and general wear due to pores in the tile - scribble on a tile with a non permanent marker then wipe it off.....if it doesn't come off fully with a damp cloth / wet finger its def going to need sealing - what are the tiles going to look like after a glass of wine or mug of coffees been spilt all over them??!

Ref dispersion addy - even with small tiles you can't 'pack it out' as it never seems to go off - ok for a kitchen splashback but thats about it!! Chris

T

TrumpersUnited

Ask him if he would use a ready mixed adhesive on the floor?

If he says "no" and he should do! then say why are you using ready mixed on the walls.

Would he buy aprox 4 pints of water off you in a bucket for 4 quid? cause thats what he's aproximately buying in a bucket of ready mixed adhesive!

Like Nybor whats the point of buying a ready mixed adhesive when weber set plus probably works out cheaper anyway and is ten times better.

H

hitbit

Hello Newbie here.

Perils of ready mixed very interesting indeed. I would appreciate any suggestions/help with the following. I intend to lay 450mm x 450mm ceramic floor tiles on a mixed surface of concrete and timber both of which have been covered with a layer of self levelling compound. I have been told tyhat I will still need to use a flexible adhesive over the timber. Is there a powder adhesive which can be used over both surfaces. Would Unibond Tile On Floors all purp[ose adhesive be suitable.

Thanks
hitbit

Reply to The perils of ready mixed adhesive. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
The perils of ready mixed adhesive.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.