Discuss theflooracademy.com in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I wrote and phoned a couple of times to the flooring academy , never had a reply tho.

I even spoke a large local company a few years ago about spending a couple of days with one of their crews , but nada.

I'm interested in doing it more for the knowledge than big bucks , just find it interesting to see , but it would also be nice to have skill in your back pocket given the amount of stone products we have to lay these dats.

Diggy

D

DHTiling

In that case thanks for that Dave. As above its more for the knowledge than anything else however I would love to offer a honing service on site to for trav and marble floors with 1mm joints etc. you gotta have a usp these days that surpasses everyone else.

There is always a big space in the market for refinishing work and renovation work..

If you have the equipment and knowledge , then you can put a floor down to within reason and totally grind to honed or polished finish and give that super flat finish , a lot of work but high end clients will pay for it .

I think the courses will be better for learning about stone and how to finish it for repairs and offer an after sales service of maintenance etc , then you have repeat business from an established customer base.

As i get older and knees are hurting a tad more , then renovation work appeals to me more , less time on your knees when machines do the hard work :)

But do let us know how you get on and who with.

I will do Dave, my glittering football career was cut short by the old knee injury and they still hurt to this day so spending time off the deck and as you say letting the machines do the work is ideal.
Ive actually used a klindex machine before when I helped a guy do a sainsburys floor so I've got a idea about the different grade diamonds (very much relevant to car painting, sandpaper grades, wet and dry etc)
I'm in a good area for it now so I think ill be researching this much more and attending some form of course and taking it from there to see how I can implement it somewhere down here. Been back on the tools for three weeks now and got plenty on, happy days!

J

jonnyc

There is always a big space in the market for refinishing work and renovation work..

If you have the equipment and knowledge , then you can put a floor down to within reason and totally grind to honed or polished finish and give that super flat finish , a lot of work but high end clients will pay for it .

I think the courses will be better for learning about stone and how to finish it for repairs and offer an after sales service of maintenance etc , then you have repeat business from an established customer base.

As i get older and knees are hurting a tad more , then renovation work appeals to me more , less time on your knees when machines do the hard work :)

But do let us know how you get on and who with.
Dave .
i have always taken interest in sealers since they first came in with fired earth and Elon in early 80s. (cardinal paint excepted)
I have tried most of the new products over the years and it is a very interesting subject.
i am lucky that my company have fixed over 1200 stone floors now but until recently
i have done cleaning and resealing as a hobby if an old client called me me up for clean/reseal.
Three things have changed my outlook on this aspect of trade.
1.my knee is totally knackered now and needs replacement with very low percentage
chance of being able to put purchase weight on daily basis even with replacement .
2.I can use my client base plus hopefully bring in other new business and with experience from stone I have can earn a reasonable living by having a helper if I cannot get on my knees all day.
3. I have had the worst 3 months of my 28 year career of recent ,trying to keep my employees going when jobs have got delayed and I could not find other tiling work at short notice.
I saved well over £15000.00 by being able to contact old clients and offering a clean/seal service at reduced rates which at least covered my employees wages if not mine.
i can tell you dave there are very few people in this restoration business who really know their stuff. Most have not even laid a tile in their life and work from instruction sheets.
that said bob at Lithofin who although never a tiler and someone I have known for 20'years really knows his stuff as does alistair nidry.
there is plenty of room in this aspect of business for experienced tile fixers to get in to this type work as they get older.
I will be doing this for sure and it can be a surprisingly good earner and a just reward for knowledge learnt over the years .

D

DHTiling

Dave .
i have always taken interest in sealers since they first came in with fired earth and Elon in early 80s. (cardinal paint excepted)
I have tried most of the new products over the years and it is a very interesting subject.
i am lucky that my company have fixed over 1200 stone floors now but until recently
i have done cleaning and resealing as a hobby if an old client called me me up for clean/reseal.
Three things have changed my outlook on this aspect of trade.
1.my knee is totally knackered now and needs replacement with very low percentage
chance of being able to put purchase weight on daily basis even with replacement .
2.I can use my client base plus hopefully bring in other new business and with experience from stone I have can earn a reasonable living by having a helper if I cannot get on my knees all day.
3. I have had the worst 3 months of my 28 year career of recent ,trying to keep my employees going when jobs have got delayed and I could not find other tiling work at short notice.
I saved well over £15000.00 by being able to contact old clients and offering a clean/seal service at reduced rates which at least covered my employees wages if not mine.
i can tell you dave there are very few people in this restoration business who really know their stuff. Most have not even laid a tile in their life and work from instruction sheets.
that said bob at Lithofin who although never a tiler and someone I have known for 20'years really knows his stuff as does alistair nidry.
there is plenty of room in this aspect of business for experienced tile fixers to get in to this type work as they get older.
I will be doing this for sure and it can be a surprisingly good earner and a just reward for knowledge learnt over the years .

So true John , we all have to think ahead now and if this involves some extra training then it is a good thing..

J

jonnyc

Coming from a tiling background does help in the restoration work...I get loads of calls for replacing cracked floor tiles, good little earners these jobs are and being a tiler its so easy. Just ask if they have electric underfloor heating first though!!
I agree . If you get one with electric underneath I always ask what the thickness of tile is and then use Makita with depth gauge set couple of mm less than thickness of tile.
i also advise client that there is no guarantee that aw cut will not go through wire and give indication of what the repair cost might be if it does.
These guys can finda fault and repair very easily .

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to theflooracademy.com in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB