Discuss Theres got to be an easier way! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
mmm... each to there own I think, I've never really got on with nails over the years, and only use them for things like wooden beading. Screws 'pull' the ply down to the floor and hold it there.

I know what you mean though, its time consuming screwing all those screws in.

On the subject of drills my Makita LXT 18V 3.0ah (11 months old) has just got the flashing lights of doom on one battery from the charger to suggest its had it. These batteries are damn expensive and I've heard loads of tales about them failing just after the guarantee has run out.

In fact its a year old in a weeks time.

Last edited:
M

mikethetile

screws have a weakness between where the thread finishes and the head starts. next time you shear a screw look at how small the section is, for a long time we had to use ring shank as screws were considered too weak, ringshanks wont hold chipboard flooring down so the chipboard screw was developed and is the only screw that should be used to hold chipboard floors down, with ply screws are not so good as they seperate the laminates while srewing in, the best way to fix ply down is with ringshanks as the downward force breaks the laminate downwards as it drives through forcing the downward facing laminate into the rings preventing the nail from pulling up again

S

SandyFloor

I use one of these with a compressor

It fires up to 50mm lg. ring shank nails at a rate of up to 3 nails per second so you can put a lot of nails in quickly. I usually use it to prep for vinyl tile 6mm ply with 22mm nails or 9.5mm with 27mm nails. You can set the depth as well. I have it so it just breaks the surface of the ply and no more.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SnipSnap

Its not often I use ply anymore, I've been converted to hardi boards. Thing with the nails is you can put about 4 times the amount in a board,in half the time. With addy, grout and tile weight its very secure, and dare I say it, more secure than screwing?

NEVER underestimate the power of wood!
Fluctuation in temperatures and humidity will bend wood and I have seen a limestone tiled floor section lifting. When walked on, it was flexing considerably.
The nails were over 100mm long. I was asked to repair somebody else's work... the weight of the limestone and fixing material was quite considerable but it didn't help keeping it down.

Think about it... wood was used by the Romans in quarries to split sections of marble blocks.

Reply to Theres got to be an easier way! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello! I am new here but I have been reading a lot about manual tile cutters on the forum. I am...
Replies
Views
L
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P
Been to quote on a job today and advice needed on this one I think! 50mt total area, 15mts is...
Replies
Views
G
A while back I tried My Workman, I paid a small fee but never got a job although I did contact...
Replies
Views
S
hiya lads ,long time since i posted ,but here go`s been going 3 and a half years now and had my...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Theres got to be an easier way!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.