UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Thinking of a career change in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

19bri79

Hi All,

New on here and just looking for as much advice info etc as possible. You have probably heard this a thousand times on here but I seek advice.

I currently have a good job working in the oil industry but this means being away from home a lot and missing a lot off my young family growing up hence the career change. I make really good money approx 65k a year but I have realised this isn't everything as it can't buy time.

Anyway enough off that what I would really love to do is work for myself and tiling is something I would like to do, I am very good at diy and have done most things to a high standard at home. Now I won't just give up my job as that is just stupid but would like to start off part time when Iam on my time at home and build up the cofidence and knowledge I need. Hopefully doing a good job and getting my name out there.

Can you guys tell me best ways to start, what sort off money can be made, any other things i should or shouldn't do??????

Thanks Brian.

S

Stef

Hi, Dont be kidded that you will see your family if you become a tiler.

If you do go for a career change & you build up a good reputation then you will inevitably be working a lot of crazy hours.

I have worked 82hrs this week & we are back out tomorrow, done a 19.5hr shift yesterday. tonight was the first ive seen the kids from sunday.

As tony says, you would be as well trying to get a pro tiler to take you on as a labourer as it takes a long time to pick up all skills needed.

good luck.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Brian and welcome to TF, as above tiling is not something you can become a master of in the short term. It takes many years, also in this climate there are master craftsmen struggling to keep busy.

Don't want to sound negative, but I am quiet atm and I am time served with over 40yrs experience. Most of my work comes from recommendations, my reputation took years to build and I am now having to work away from home, to keep going.

In a nut shell, I would say if you are earning 65k in your current job, stick with it, because you will not make anywhere near that as a rookie tiler. Good luck in your career choice.:thumbsup:

L

lukeb

Hi, Dont be kidded that you will see your family if you become a tiler.

If you do go for a career change & you build up a good reputation then you will inevitably be working a lot of crazy hours.

I have worked 82hrs this week & we are back out tomorrow, done a 19.5hr shift yesterday. tonight was the first ive seen the kids from sunday.

Agree,sad but true.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Welcome Brian

I gave up a very good salaried job, company car etc, to get back to a hands on role nearly 7 years ago, and although I don't earn anywhere near as much as I used to do I am happier in my lifestyle. It's not always about the ££££. All money gives you is choice. You can have a car if you're earning £20k a year and you can have a nicer car if you earn £50k.

It will take time to build up a reputation and one bad job to ruin it. If you can, as the other guys have said, try to tail a pro and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't you'll never get any answers!

Can I just ask how old you are?

Good luck

B

bugs183

Being self employed is hard to see from the eyes of someone who's employed.
Us guys can make a living, but as you say we HAVE to put the hours in for alsorts of reasons.
First you work all day, then measure jobs do paper work ,invoice and research info on jobs in the evening, and it could be all evening for a week!
Cash flow, if someone is late paying, and you haven't budgeted you have to go to work to cover it, then that person could be late paying and it starts again.
A job could go over for whatever reason, and it has to be done, say goodbye to your planned day off or evening out with the missus or worse still the boys!! I've even cancelled holidays for work.
Tax, you have to save it, but if someone hasn't paid or you need new tools you need to pay for the tax and that new thing, so off to work you go!!
Once the ball starts rolling you can't easily jump off as you still need to pay that years tax, so unless you have a nest egg just stopping being self employed is really really hard.
But, you are you're own boss, you make the decisions and you don't have to work for people you don't like.
I wouldn't have it any other way, but don't for one second think you won't be working weekends or downing tools at 4.30 pm.

I

Ian

Being self employed is hard to see from the eyes of someone who's employed.
Us guys can make a living, but as you say we HAVE to put the hours in for alsorts of reasons.
First you work all day, then measure jobs do paper work ,invoice and research info on jobs in the evening, and it could be all evening for a week!
Cash flow, if someone is late paying, and you haven't budgeted you have to go to work to cover it, then that person could be late paying and it starts again.
A job could go over for whatever reason, and it has to be done, say goodbye to your planned day off or evening out with the missus or worse still the boys!! I've even cancelled holidays for work.
Tax, you have to save it, but if someone hasn't paid or you need new tools you need to pay for the tax and that new thing, so off to work you go!!
Once the ball starts rolling you can't easily jump off as you still need to pay that years tax, so unless you have a nest egg just stopping being self employed is really really hard.
But, you are you're own boss, you make the decisions and you don't have to work for people you don't like.
I wouldn't have it any other way, but don't for one second think you won't be working weekends or downing tools at 4.30 pm.

Very wise words.

B

bugs183

We're not being all precious and trying to put you off, it is a rewarding job.
If you have savings, a small mortgage and the proper understanding that you WILL be at least halving your income, at the very least, then go for it!
But do your sums, how much a year do you need to live, how may days or hours are you prepared to work?£20,000 plus isn't too hard to achieve, but we are in a recession and even the best have struggled.
To even break £30,000 a year requires lots of work, to hit £60,000 unless you have a really good team of blokes, steady work and really reliable customers would be very very difficult to achieve, and you wouldn't be seeing much of your family.

19bri79

I work hard and have got to where Iam through pushing myself. My wife and me run our own salon already so know how hard working for yourself is but that dosen't put me off at all.
Never shy away from work got a mate with his own building business who would get me work if i was good enough also know a few self employed joiners and decorators who am sure will put my name out...
This thread is giving me some good advice keep it coming...thanks

Reply to Thinking of a career change in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.