Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Thinking of career change to tiling - HELP! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

:welcome: Cornish. Thought I would share my story of how i ended up becoming a tiler/plumber. Hopefully to give you all a laugh and inspire you!!

I must have spent about the last 6 yrs changing from an office/finance job to full time self employed. Was even harder as I was many thousands of pounds in debt, and I still am to a degree. I couldn't have done it without the support of my parents & some family.

It all started when I got sacked from an office/finance job about 6 yrs ago and starting work as a plumbers mate the very next day, working with a friend/corgi registered gas installer. I loved the variety of the job and working with my hands instead of going to a dull accountants office and staring at a PC monitor everyday.

Did my first bathroom/tiling job for my landlord to pay a months rent when I was skint!! After about 18 months doing pipework and labouring, I went back to the office for another 18 months, but was doing odd jobs for family and friends building up experience plumbing and tiling.

After a couple more sackings at the office (I finally got the message that career was no longer for me!!), and as luck would have it - 2 weeks later, I got a call from another friend, who wanted me to work as his plumber/labourer. So for another 18 months, I spent some time working with him doing all kinds of home improvements, and he claimed he knew tiling and 'taught' me how to do it.

Then, in November last year, my ex-boss hired an electrician who used to and still does tiling (but this guy was a trained tiler). Working along side him on some bigger tiling jobs, I realised then how little my cowboy tiler ex-boss knew about tiling and decided to do a 4 week course and start-up on my own. Which I did in April.

I too must have spent £8-9k in the last 4 months on tools, van, course & insurance and I'm just getting out there and dealing with my first customers/and taking on some bigger jobs. I can see a good turnover, and the potential to earn is there. However, I still need to re-invest a huge amount into tools, so like the others said, the earnings will not be that good straight away. The first 12-24 months will be hard, but if it is what you want to do then follow your heart.

I do plan on the NVQ/CSCS route in the future, but for now I just need to establish the business and try to earn a living for me and my son.

It's hard work and long hours at times, but I love it compared to an office job. Good luck to anyone who decides to go for it :thumbsup:

Reply to Thinking of career change to tiling - HELP! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Thinking of career change to tiling - HELP!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.