Discuss Thoughts on this in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

A while back I went to quote for a floor. The substrate was 18mm ply on joists. Very solid and no problem except they wanted backerboard, UFH and Travertine or limestone...maybe polished marble. The first thing I noticed was 4 doors were too low and You wouldnt be able to get the depth needed.
Adjusting the doors is a no go as one door is a folding door , about 2 metres wide. The others are UPVC and to adjust would be major work.
They left it at that . I now have an email stating that a "builder " will remove the ply and cut it into the joists, thereby giving an extra 18mm.
This will still be overboarded with backerboards but I am not too keen on the idea. In theory it may be fine but until I see how well this "builder" is then I dont feel I can give a definite answer.
How would you play it ?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I don't think weakening the floor would be too much of a concern in this instance. If they were taking lumps off the joists then yes but just in filling is not really much of a worry for me.

of greater concern would be the level of movement in the floor. Bear in mind that the joists will move at a different rate to the ply and if it is cut in really tightly it will try to belly when heated.

With trav this one sounds fraud with danger.

D

Dougs Third Go

I don't think weakening the floor would be too much of a concern in this instance. If they were taking lumps off the joists then yes but just in filling is not really much of a worry for me.

of greater concern would be the level of movement in the floor. Bear in mind that the joists will move at a different rate to the ply and if it is cut in really tightly it will try to belly when heated.

With trav this one sounds fraud with danger.
but you're actually taking the floor joists out of the equation. Assuming they're specc'ed to carry the existing floor if you batten to them the tensile strength will be reduced surely?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Joist are specified to carry a standard load plus a margin. The span is irrelevent in as much as it only affects he joist depth. they are usually designed to display a deflection no greater that the length divided by 300 or 12mm. When we put flowing screeds onto joists they are designed at L/333. in modern domestic housing this load is usually a minimum of 1.5kN/m2 but most builders architects and engineers over specify to future proof the dwelling. Most of the ones I come across these days are specified at 5kN which is a pretty hefty load. Provided the battens are attached at sufficiently regular intervals they will act compositely and the overall lad bearing capacity will not be appreciably affected. If the joists are add thinner then this will affect the load bearing but from reading your op this is not what is intended... Or have I read it wrong.

1.5kN = 1500N = 150kg per m2
5.0kN = 500kg per m2

I

ian158

Joist are specified to carry a standard load plus a margin. The span is irrelevent in as much as it only affects he joist depth. they are usually designed to display a deflection no greater that the length divided by 300 or 12mm. When we put flowing screeds onto joists they are designed at L/333. in modern domestic housing this load is usually a minimum of 1.5kN/m2 but most builders architects and engineers over specify to future proof the dwelling. Most of the ones I come across these days are specified at 5kN which is a pretty hefty load. Provided the battens are attached at sufficiently regular intervals they will act compositely and the overall lad bearing capacity will not be appreciably affected. If the joists are add thinner then this will affect the load bearing but from reading your op this is not what is intended... Or have I read it wrong.

1.5kN = 1500N = 150kg per m2
5.0kN = 500kg per m2

too much information !

Reply to Thoughts on this in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am planning on tiling my bathroom floor, I removed the old tiles myself which were...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new to the forum, I'm a customer of a bodged tiling job done 2 years ago by a general...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB