Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Adhesive Poll 2012 - best tile adhesive for floor and walls in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hi Dan any chance when you post the results of showing the 3 previous years to compare how the market share is from year to year ? it would be interesting cheers Gary
Got you the links now I'm on a computer mate.

2011 can be found Here 2010 can be found HERE .....2009 can be found HERE ..... 2008 can be found HERE and mid-2006 to the end of 2007 can be found HERE.

You can see BAL had a strong holding back in the day, as expected. And slowly Mapei and other brands such as Weber and even some of the others have managed to get more votes (whether that reflects actual market share is another thing mind).

Weber doing really well this year really, and the loyalty scheme is always being mentioned on here, so I think that'll pay off in next years Poll. They're serious about web presence and offline marketing. They've got new younger staff in to manage it. And it'll take a bit of time to get out to the tilers but it's going well.

Clearly BAL had a bash of TilerWorld, that competition thing speedy tiler was it called? - but it doesn't seem to have paid off the same as webers different approach which seems to be more store-based, then letting word of mouth do the work.

Price was always an issue with BAL but back in the day there weren't many other trusted options for the UK. They had it easy IMO for years. Their training centre paid off back in the day BIGtime and Larsen and others tried it eventually and it didn't work so well.

BAL are doing very well this year though compared to last and the year before that even. At least TilersForums Poll wise, we have to not get too ahead of ourselves. But the people voting on the polls we know of, and know quite well too in most cases, so it does reflect some of the market perhaps. At least the % of tilers that also use computers and forums. So perhaps a similar percentage in the real world would apply.

Anyway, links are there mate for you to study and make your own mind up.

I'll check the database near the end of the poll to see which of the firms has had the most false votes (from members who have never used the forum before but all of a sudden want to vote about their adhesive brand they used) and will deduct those from the official figure I'll publish and hopefully get in some trade, general construction industry, and DIY magazines.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
In statistical terms a truly unbiased poll would have the choices in alphabetical order.
Although some may say this is a random selection of order.
The result should be the same.

Statistically only the top one should have more votes due to it being the top one. It doesn't work as in the 2nd one down would have the 2nd lead votes. And that fact has a name but I forget what it's called right now.

The way we've done it is put the ones we expect to see top near the top (to save scrolling down a lot) and then as we've added some before now, and those go on the end at the bottom, we've not bothered with alphabetical, as we couldn't then add to the poll.

Q

Qwerty

Was mapei all the way, had a few problems on a very large contract, felt very let down by tech back up, or lack of it, still no positive answers, have now switched to Kerakoll

This surprises me..... Mapei have some of the most advanced products on the market and the tech back up is second to none. I have been in Mapei tech dept at their HQ in Halesowen when a tiler phoned up with a complex scenario. They really couldn't do enough to help him out!

Just a thought, is it because Mapei is more available on the market that it is the most popular, in my area there are a few that stock Mapei where as Weber is only stocked at one outlet but my opinion is that Weber is far better adhesive but I do use Mapei as it would mean a 80 mile round trip if I needed more weber on the day,I do think Weber should be stocked in more outlets.

D

DHTiling

I agree on the Weber comment, CTD have kind of took hold with Weber as they are both owned by Saint-Gobain .. so are Weber are shooting themselves in the foot by making it harder for other retailers stocking their products .

My supplier PHG Stone enquired about being a weber stockist and he was told he had to use CTD... Unless you are prepared to buy in mass stock then they will not let him buy direct.

I know of one other supplier up here and that is westerhope tiles and Leo was selling Weber before CTD tried to take up the Weber market here in the northeast.

IMO retailers should be allowed to buy direct from any adhesive comp without these kind of deal with CTD only rules.

I know tile town sell weber as well but any others on here who are stuck to dealing with CTD since they became stockists.?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Ctd have always been distributors of tiles and adhesives. Topps even used to by from them.

Id assume the rates from Ctd as a retailer would be the same if you bought from weber directly if you're only buying one shops worth of gear.

Ctd have the supply chain already setup for small pallets of stuff whereas weber probably only cart whole truck loads around.

D

DHTiling

Ctd have always been distributors of tiles and adhesives. Topps even used to by from them.

Id assume the rates from Ctd as a retailer would be the same if you bought from weber directly if you're only buying one shops worth of gear.

Ctd have the supply chain already setup for small pallets of stuff whereas weber probably only cart whole truck loads around.

Not at all no... but any retailer should be able to buy direct and not be pointed towards a stockist :lol: ... but CTD prices are very good on weber but more choice of stockists would be even better. :)

What I do like about using CTD is one phone call and its delivered to the job even if I am not there but make arrangement with the customer,theres not many stockist in my area that will do that.yes but do agree on more stockist for Weber,you can get it from Jewsons but have to order at a higher price and they are the same company,For any tiler who has not used Weber try it you wont be disappointed.

Last edited:

Reply to Tile Adhesive Poll 2012 - best tile adhesive for floor and walls in the Tile Retail | Wholesale | Import / Export Tile area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Let us know which brand of tiles adhesive you use. And the price per bag trade if possible. Let's see if there's is a disparity across the country.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement