Discuss Tile back/insulation board over floor boards? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

RickyLee53

Hello,

I'm using tile backer insulation boards for underfloor heating upstairs. However half of the floor is new, (WBP ply) the rest is exsisting floor boards. They have years of varnish on them and are in sound condition. The area is approx 11 sqm, and i'd rather not remove them if possible.

Obviously I have been told to bed the insulation boards on flexi ady and screw to joists every 300mm. My question is, can I use the adhesive on the normal floor boards? Or should I cover the whole floor with another layer of ply/hardboard first?

I have sealed the top and edges of the WBP ply, but not the floor as of yet as its varnished.

Regards
Ricky.

R

RickyLee53

Many thanks for your advise, there isn't any bounce on the old boards as there is a partition wall downstairs in the centre of the joists.

That was going to be my next question. I'm guessing once keyed, i'll need to seal the boards? Is it the moisture from the adhesive that gives you the issues with boarding over floorboards?

I would fit on top of floorboards but make sure theres no bounce, also I would scratch the floor with a very course sanding paper to allow the adhesive to get some grip....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tile back/insulation board over floor boards? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB