Discuss Tile Crack - Advice Needed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Thoughts

I hope that someone can help advise me! I had my bathroom completely refitted in November, including underfloor heating and floor tiles. It is beautiful. Yesterday I noticed a small crack in one of the tiles. I have attached two photographs. What I really want to know is what has caused this? Could it be that I had the underfloor heating on too high a heat? Could someone have dropped something on it? Or is it more likely to be something more serious, and I should expect more to appear? I don't know if you can tell this from a photograph but I thought it was worth asking in case! I'm really worried, particularly as the bathroom was done so recently and I was so happy with it! Many thanks in advance!
2016-04-13 17.42.15.jpg
2016-04-13 17.42.30.jpg

T

Thoughts

2015-12-08 18.39.52.jpg 2015-12-09 17.41.06.jpg 2015-12-09 17.42.46.jpg
Thanks so much for all your replies! Much appreciated. I am afraid I am stereotypically clueless! I attach photos of the stages of the work with the hope that might answer some of the questions. I had never heard of commissioning ufh but have just looked it up. I completely didn't follow this at all as I didn't know about it! :( Could this have caused it? If it did, will it continue to get worse? It's possible the crack has been there a while without me noticing it.

T

Thoughts

I really don't know when it appeared. It is perfectly possible it has been there a while. I have been talking to people recently about their cracked tiles which may well have made me look for it more.

This might be a really stupid question, but can I definitely rule out it being that the underfloor heating is too hot? I turned it off as soon as I saw it but would quite like to turn it back on if that isn't the cause!

If it is a fault in the tile, is it likely to just be that tile, or would it then be likely they are all no good?

S

Spare Tool

I really don't know when it appeared. It is perfectly possible it has been there a while. I have been talking to people recently about their cracked tiles which may well have made me look for it more.

This might be a really stupid question, but can I definitely rule out it being that the underfloor heating is too hot? I turned it off as soon as I saw it but would quite like to turn it back on if that isn't the cause!

If it is a fault in the tile, is it likely to just be that tile, or would it then be likely they are all no good?
Your ufh can't get too hot to crack a tile, it's what's under your ufh that can cause a crack.. Seems strange to me that the ditra is at the bottom of the makeup?

T

Thoughts

Great, I'll put it back on then, thanks! I was so scared I'd completely messed up my bathroom by putting it on too high a temperature, so that's at least a relief! Ok, this again might sound really stupid but the Ditra is the orange stuff right? The boards on top of that were just there so I could use the toilet before they did the next stage. I do feel very confident that the people that fitted it were good, I can't really imagine it's anything they did. I'm going to hope that it is this glaze problem and that I have just been unobservant up until now! I am so appreciative of all your time replying to me!!

S

Spare Tool

Great, I'll put it back on then, thanks! I was so scared I'd completely messed up my bathroom by putting it on too high a temperature, so that's at least a relief! Ok, this again might sound really stupid but the Ditra is the orange stuff right? The boards on top of that were just there so I could use the toilet before they did the next stage. I do feel very confident that the people that fitted it were good, I can't really imagine it's anything they did. I'm going to hope that it is this glaze problem and that I have just been unobservant up until now! I am so appreciative of all your time replying to me!!
The ufh heating should really have been turned on slowly and commissioned over 6 days and not ramped up to full straight away, but you might have got away with it, touch wood (not ply) its a fault in the tile glaze :)

Reply to Tile Crack - Advice Needed in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB