Discuss Tile discolouration in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fazza

Hi there,

We had our bathroom refitted in February and yesterday the Mrs noticed a tile that is discoloured from the standard off white to a greyish colour in our shower. The tile is just below the shower bar, however the tiles that the shower are situated on aren't affected and it's only the one tile that has this colour. The grout around it is all intact and looks to be sound.

The tiles we have are: White Satin Ceramic Wall Tile - Wall Tiles - Tiles -Tiles & Floors - Wickes

Immediate thought was that there must be a leak behind the tiles so I've called the plumber back and he has taken off the shower bar and investigated but all seems dry behind. He's gone off to a local tile shop to see whether they have experience of this but his guess was that the tile was a poor one from the pack and the glaze has gone off it, does this sound possible?

Anyone any experience of this? Has the plumber written off leak too quickly?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

F

fazza

Story continues, A visit to another tile shop who said it must be the glaze as there's no way water would be penetrating the 12mm Hardie backer board and for us not to know about it elsewhere. Plumber has whipped off the tile and is bone dry behind... do I have any come back on Wickes? I presume the glaze has somehow not worked in the manufacturing process on this odd tile and for the hassle and cost of plumbers time I feel should be entitled to some compensation...?

B

Billy Hunt

Yeah,I had this before with some cheaper tiles in a shower area,2 or 3 tiles changed colour when wet,they had the deep red biscuit and by all accounts are common with the cheaper tile like Jay said.
I told my customer not to use shower for a few days and the tiles changed back to there rightfull colour,don't think there is anything to worry about as long as it's been tanked the water will pass back through the grout and not through untaped,untanked areas.

Reply to Tile discolouration in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
HELP! I'm really hoping someone might be able to give me some advice..... our cleaner just used...
Replies
Views
Hi there First time poster - have had a tiler come and do our kitchen floor in terracotta...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tile discolouration
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.