Discuss Tile Grout Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Richardo1505

Hi all, I'm new here and new to tiling/ grout. hopefully someone can help ;-)

I've just re-grouted the kitchen/ dining floor. The flooring is original glazed ceramic tiles and the grout was a hard cement based grey finish. I have cleaned all grout lines and degreased, also taken a lot of time to scrape out the joints to cut back the old grout, I haven't completely removed old grout but hopefully cut back enough.

I have re-grouted using Beige Flexible Grout for Walls & Floor from Buildfix (Mapei) Its been down for almost 36 hours.

I have just checked some of the joints and in areas it looks a little cracked and other areas seems very sandy and I can rub out the grout with my finger. other areas seem ok.

what have I done wrong and what should I do to resolve the problem? thanks all

Richardo

R

Richardo1505

Re: Tile Grout Advise

Hi Dave, it's difficult to say as it's quite a large area so not sure which lines may have had more water from wash, etc. if you know what I mean. basically I think you're saying that the grout has been too wet when mixed?

I'm thinking I should leave the are for say 7 days and then scrub all joints with a dry hard brush to find the loose sandy areas and then redo these areas?

R

Richardo1505

Hi there, yes I think I've come to the same conclusion. very sad.................... but thanks anyway. I think there are a few problems here, of course mostly in my lack of experience and poor mixing but also I think I should have gone for a sanded grout for larger joints as mine are average of 7-9 mm, the Buildfix product is for joints less than 6mm. Think I'm going to find a pre mix product in the colour I want

M

Max@ableskills

Hi there, yes I think I've come to the same conclusion. very sad.................... but thanks anyway. I think there are a few problems here, of course mostly in my lack of experience and poor mixing but also I think I should have gone for a sanded grout for larger joints as mine are average of 7-9 mm, the Buildfix product is for joints less than 6mm. Think I'm going to find a pre mix product in the colour I want

Dont use pre mixed grout use a wide joint grout and mix as instructed on the bag. good luck

Reply to Tile Grout Advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tile Grout Advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.