Discuss Tile install help/advice needed ASAP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

There is a pic of my layout on my first post. Does it not open for you guys? I am not using a rapid set. I think the LFT has a rapid set and non rapid set. I have never seen a 13/16". 1/2" is biggest I was able to find. if i find a 13/16", how much height would that add to the final product ones i push down the tiles, use the lash clips and backbutter the tiles?

Page 21, thick bed solid bed trowel, 20mm notches gives 3 - 4mm bed thickness.

Broken Link Removed

Sorry, couldn't see that picture, white drawing on a white screen background. I would start in the top right corner of the kitchen and take full rows down from there. As I said earlier, go into the doorways of all the adjoining rooms as you go, and when tiling those rooms on a separate day, tile from the doorway and into the room to ensure you keep the same levels.

Good luck! Friday night, pub now!

p.s. You need to switch to the metric system. It's time. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mcu

I use lash clips quite a bit, (see other threads),but as the guys above say you will get hollow spots if the floor is not prepared properly.
Lash clips are not a replacement for poor preparation, especially with floors.
You are using 600x600 tiles, these take some fixing, and by the sounds of your questions i don't think you've laid many like this before.

As above my advise is be sensible, get the floor flat before you begin, use thick bed adhesive in the holes and level over with a good quality Self leveller, i find Mapei Renovation Screed lovely to use.
If you proceed as you are you will use a ton of adhesive trying to get this floor to look any where near acceptable. You may as well have used leveller instead, and made your life a whole load easier.

Prepare the floor, tile the hall first as a: The rooms all run of this so the hall dictates how the rooms connect, B: I bet it is the most awkward part of the job cutting wise, get the awkward out the way first, then you can enjoy the job.

Don't try and rush this one, and listen to what the fella's say, they know their stuff, and they are happy to pass on information without judging your methods, a rare thing indeed!!

I definately appreciate all the tips/advice here from everyone!! Since you use LASH quite a bit, do you use a 1/2" trowel? Do you backbutter every tile? If I drylay the tiles first, how much would be the most acceptable one tile could be higher than another in a corner or side? whats the max we can adjust with a LASH clip without it being void?

B

bugs183

I use a 12mm trowel, to give you a good adhesive bed, and i would back butter every tile, which i would do with large format tiles anyway.
There is no certain depth that a lash clip will work to without voiding, you can only tell if a tile is properly bedded by feel, or by lifting every tile up and seeing how the adhesive is bedding, any experienced tile knows this, you can't put a measure on it.
Lash clips only help the tiling from above, ie the tiles will look lovely and flat, but if the floor is not flat underneath and the tiler doesn't have the experience then these clips are NO substitute for good fixing.
We cannot stress enough that if your floor is not prepared properly then these large format tiles are totally unforgiving and you will have problems.

Reply to Tile install help/advice needed ASAP in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I have recently started the task of renovating the bathroom in my flat and am at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tile install help/advice needed ASAP
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.